Minimum workshop size

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Yes it was Ken Scott I was talking to.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well Jon, That IS ... THE SMALLEST shop on the board, without a doubt!

It is going to be hard to set the wing incedence in there, but maybe you will find a way!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Im impressed with the can do attitude. Im not sure I would have even started if I had a shop tha small. Impressive!!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

agreed! that is incredible that you are working away steadily in there! way to go! :good job: nice DRDT-2 :wink: haven't had a chance to use mine yet...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Thanks for the encouragement, men. We'll see how far I get in here. After all, it's taken me the better part of a year just to acquire some tools and start to figure out how to use them. But it seems I'll have enough room at least for the tail.

I'm finding that, obviously, I can only have one thing in front of me at a time. So the dimpler goes on the floor under the blueprint shelf when I'm not using it. One untouted advantage to the DRDT is that it's so heavy that you don't need to bolt it down. I was sliding it all over the table, turning it at an angle, etc., to keep the skin from hitting the wall as I worked on it. And since it's one-handed, I don't need to surround it with equal height table top, just balance the skin on it with the other hand.

The compressor is behind the wall by the light, in the laundry room. The big parts I'm not using are still in the shipping box under the bed. And when I need to use a band saw, milling machine, etc, I take the part down to the shop where I work.

So I'm not 100% limited to doing everything in this little room. But it's great to have it at home. I rented a 500 square foot workshop for a few years once before for a project, and I never went down there because once I got home I didn't feel like going back out.

Jon