Vertical Power

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
n701vb
Class G

Vertical Power

Post by n701vb »

Does anyone have any experience with Vertical Power?

Do you think it saved you a lot of time with installation of your electrical system? Any issues/problems with them?

I'm thinking of the VP-100, which is their basic model. I don't think I need all the bells and whistles, I more interested in having everything going into and out of one box for simplicity. Easier installation and maintenance and upgradability for the future are the reasons I'm looking at it now.

Thanks,
Vince
N701VB

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, I don't think we have anyone here that has one. Not too many out there other than Marc flying behind one yet.

I did see the demo at Oshkosh, and it was IMPRESSIVE! Very cool stuff for a "modest" price, you might say.

This was the top end model they demo'd, but we went thru the entire sequence from pre-flight to post-flight. Bells and Whistles is accurate!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

n701vb
Class G

Vertical Power

Post by n701vb »

Yeah, I saw them too, very neat, but a little overkill if you ask me!

But at about $4k for the basic unit, I figure that might not be too bad. If you subtract out the cost of circuit breakers, switches and wires that you won't need, that helps pay for the $4K. Any idea about how much you spent on those sort of items when you built?

Vince

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, I'm still spending as I am getting close to that point...I am using an EXPBUS 2V, so we have yet to see what kind of money I'll spend (or save!) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

My aircraft is going to be 100% Nuckolls, top to bottom, as far as electrical system goes. I've been all over, around, and through his book and diagrams, and they represent pretty much every bit of the standards that I want to uphold.

I had the fantastic opportunity to sit and BS with Bob Nuckolls at oshkosh for the better part of four hours, and it was a great experience.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Have you seen the VP unit demo'd Ian? It's pretty sweet!

I do agree that Nuckolls is the standard though. We had him do his seminar at our chapter last fall...great stuff! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

yeah, I'm familiar with the VP machine, and it's definitely got the whizbang cool factor, but way too much money for what it does in my mind.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!