Non-RV, HEAVY Metal...I mean Plasitc!!

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Non-RV, HEAVY Metal...I mean Plasitc!!

Post by cjensen »

I found out recently that one of our Chapter members has been in the process of building a Lancair IVP. What is somewhat noteworthy on this project is what he has up front.

Let me preface this by saying that I have NO interest in this, not only because it would never work in and RV, but also because I'M FREE OF THE ALTERNATIVE BUG!!! Trust me, this one put me over the top! Somebody please slap me (seriously!) if I start talking about an alternative installation again...

Back to the Lancair. He is putting his SECOND Chevy V-8 up front on this thing!! :o :o This after the first one FAILED on takeoff a few feet above the ground. Luckily no one was injured and the airplane did not suffer any damage. They were running mogas in this turbocharged V-8, and it literally burned holes in the pistons!!!

Now he has put another turbo Chevy V-8 in the thing! It should be ready for a start next spring, but let me tell you, I have never seen such a complex installation! This thing has wires and hoses EVERYWHERE!! Two HUGE radiators dominate both sides of the engine. One plus is that it does have a hydraulic CS MT prop on it. It's a four blade to hande all 425 horsepower! 425!! This is loafing along, as it is designed for 480hp!!

Here's the other thing...it isn't finished yet, but it already weighs OVER 100 pounds more on the nose than it is supposed to!

It is neat, and will certainly be a novelty. They say it sounds absolutely wonderful, and he is building it to sell it. So, if anyone is interested, it'll be for sale here in about a year or so...

I'm still digesting all this. What a complex machine that thing is!

I'll take one Lycoming clone to go please... :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

If it was an auto engine running auto gas why was there a problem? Not high enough octane?

That guy has some brass ones ... he needs to just go with the turbine. That makes for one sweet plane!

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Not sure what the problem was. My only GUESS is that the engine is a 350, and wasn't set up originally for a turbocharger. Could've had a compression ratio that wasn't suitable for mogas and a turbo? I don't know... :dunno: The current 350 that is on there is supposedly set up right. One other thing I forgot to mention is that this thing is all aluminum, and it's still a pig!

He probably has nearly as much in this thing at this point, that he could've put a Walter's turbine on it. :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Tempting.... but I'll pass.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

No thanks. I would have just gone the Walter option. Have you seen them? They are sweet. A russian rip off of a PT6. There is a guy here with one on his Lancair IVP. About 100 into the flying, his nose wheel door tension spring broke :o . The engine sucked in the small 'tang' (end of the spring) and it destroyed the 1st and 2nd stage compressor :bang: . He didn't even notice till he did a 100hrly :? . The thing is, he went back through the engine data on his Chelton (lucky bugger) and there was no drop in performance :o . Now, how is that for reliability? Didn't even notice any change.

Be nice if they made a little version for us 8)
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Snap wrote:Be nice if they made a little version for us 8)
Innodyn is working on it... :roll: :bang:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

I'm tempted. How 'bout you Chad? :lol:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Chad? Chad? Are you with us Chad? Are you day dreaming again Chad?

Here we go! :o :o :wink: :wink:

Here is one that our chapter president picked up and hauled back to Iowa. I di nopt get to see it when it was done. :( I believe he is working on another one now though. They are nice. :roll:

JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

JohnR wrote:Chad? Chad? Are you with us Chad? Are you day dreaming again Chad?

Here we go! :o :o :wink: :wink:
Oh boy...I seriously thought I made myself abundantly clear with this statement...

Let me preface this by saying that I have NO interest in this, not only because it would never work in and RV, but also because I'M FREE OF THE ALTERNATIVE BUG!!! Trust me, this one put me over the top! Somebody please slap me (seriously!) if I start talking about an alternative installation again...

No problem, I have quite the hole to dig myself out of... :roll:

:wink: :mrgreen:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Speaking of Innodyn...

What ever happen to that -8 in Colorado that just put one in a few months ago? Wasn't that their first true customer installation?

No news probably isn't good news in this case. Anyone hear anything?

- Peter

PS - Down Chad Down! :mrgreen:
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I don't think there is any news to report on that -8 turbine, which like you said Peter, it's probably not good news. The Innodyn website has not been update since that first flight announcement, and they reported that the next wave of news would come directly from that customer.

It's a never ending story with those guys... :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

I'm a turbine guy. I would love a turbine in a RV-8, but until Pratt makes a smaller PT6A (highly unlikely) I'm going to end up with a IO-360. The Walter and Innodyns are exciting and interesting. Each have quarks, they aren't readily available, how about support? Are you going to be able to find parts in 2-5 years. Can you find somebody to work on them? I'm a KingAir mechanic, I work on PT6A small series engines, they are great performers, easy to operate and easy to maintain, but there is none small enough for RVs :cry:
So Lyco here I come.

rv6ejguy
Class G

Post by rv6ejguy »

I fear that these guys need someone who understands turbocharged engines to help them. A failure on liftoff means something is seriously wrong with spark or fuel management and/or the CR is too high for auto fuel. Secondly, cast pistons don't belong in turbocharged aircraft engines.

Everything has to be right for this combo to work and be reliable. Good for them to keep trying. The Walter's are very expensive still and stupid on fuel burn. A couple guys have them around here. An LS6 crate motor is $5K, forged pistons another $600. This probably has something to do with their decision.

I be happy to have these guys contact me for some help if they were interested.
Ross Farnham

Flying RV6A turbo Subie
Building RV10 twin turbo Subie