A good explaination why...

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

A good explaination why...

Post by cjensen »

I typed this up on my website, and some of you have probably read it. I added a few more comments the other day, and I thought I'd post it here to say why I've decided to order an E6 Subie...
A new airplane with a new technology engine. I made this choice after COUNTLESS hours of reading and research over the last year and a half. I'm confident in my decision, and here are some of (but not all) my reasons. First, fuel is a big question mark in the future. This engine will burn auto gas (Mogas), and 100LL (Avgas) with out any problems. With Avgas becoming more and more cost prohibitive to use, I want something that will give me options. Fuel economy is another reason. I won't get in to the numbers, but suffice it to say, I am happy with the numbers presented from others that are flying these already. It may not be as fast as a Lycoming, but I'm not racing this airplane. Liquid cooling. This feature assures that all temperature modes are consistent, and aids in long life of the engine. It cannot be shock cooled like an air cooled engine, and all cylinders will run the same temperature. Air cooled engines need a baffling system to TRY and perfect air flow. Most of the time, one or two cylinders will run hotter than the rest, and problems will arise. There is no baffling in a liquid cooled engine to mess with. Modern technology...Lycoming's and the others have been around with the same 1940's technology forever. They are tried and true, but there are costly AD's, costly parts, and costly maintenance. The Eggenfellner will be as easy to work on myself as my truck. Parts are WAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper, though no less quality. The Subaru Boxer is built by Fuji Heavy Industries. It's been proven time and time again on the endurance track, and I have no issues with running this engine at higher RPM's than most are used to (including me!). I want a vibration free airplane. Lycoming's shake and rattle. Fact of life. Big pistons, long stroke, big power pulse. Fatiguing on long flights. The Subaru is very smooth. Small pistons, short stroke, higher RPM, and seven main bearings on the crankshaft contribute to a nice, smooth running engine. The engine is built with very tight tolerances, and therefore, they do not use oil. Air cooled engines are REALLY loose by comparison, and Lycoming actually allows 2 quarts an hour to be burned. Most don't use this much, but that is the max. They DO burn plenty of oil however. Winter starting. This will be as easy as starting your car. No preheat is needed. Just fire it up, let it warm up, and you're off! Speaking of winter...This engine has REAL heat! No muff around the exhaust with the potential to fill the cockpit with carbon monoxide. Safer! I've come to know several people flying these little jewels, and I'm liking what I'm hearing. I've also gotten to know (thru email) Jan Eggenfellner and Gary Newsted at Eggenfellner Aircraft. Very nice people, and willing to go the extra mile. This engine IS NOT going to cost less to buy than a new Lycoming clone. It is a little cheaper, but a grand in the grand scheme is minor. It IS A LOT cheaper than a new factory injected Lycoming, however. Those prices give me a headache. There is no mixture control to mess with. One power lever, and that's it. Basically fully FADEC with an ECU controlling timing, mixture, and fuel flow.
I didn't post this in any way to start an engine argument, just the reasons behind why I decided to go this way. I feel like I'm at a point in my build where some decisions needed to be made (for real this time), and I have to start making provisions for whatever is going up front such as battery placement, firewall setup, and fuel line routing and planning. I am gonna have to go back to the wings this summer and install return lines.

Hope you at least find it entertaining! :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

tcrv7
Class G

Thanks Chad

Post by tcrv7 »

My father and I are building a7 in Jacksonville SWof you. I have also been trying to make up our minds on power. we go to Daytona for both races and always make our way to Eggs. The place just never seemed quite what you expected,and the belt red. always drew scrutinity.As you said things have come around at Eggs, Mogas.and Ican say Ifollow your post'sand consider your input very worthwhile.Coattailing off your decision,we are going to sun n fun to put our money down on a an airplane engine that works in cars the Subaru
tom casson rv7 q/b N806tc {resv}

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Hey Tom! Great to see another Illinois RV!! There is an RV flyin in Marion next weekend the 14th. I plan to fly down in a Comanche if the weather looks good. Should be several RV's and lots of door prizes from some big-time manufacturers.

Nice to see you're also thinking of Subaru power. I've been back and forth on this for a long time, and this is actually my second time putting money down on one. My timing was off the first time, and I didn't like the belt drive that came out after I put money on it.

This time around looks great from a timing perspective and engineering of the package these days.

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com