The Lure of the Subaru

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Re: Weathervane

Post by cjensen »

yukon wrote:No Sir! I want you to have the airplane YOU want! All I ask is you remember what you THOUGHT last week, because there are those of us who are listening to what you say!
I remember, and I'm glad there are people listening to me babble on about this stuff. Where else am I gonna do it? :)
yukon wrote:If the Egg is a good engine, it will be good two weeks in a row. If you are just trying to preserve your place on the "production line" I would understand that too.
I never said the engine is NOT a good engine. It was a good engine last week, and it was a good engine last year when I ordered the first time. There were times when I felt it wasn't the right engine for ME, but not a bad engine.

I am holding my spot in line for sure...why not? I do plan on using that spot, though if I change my mind, well, I guess I can do that. :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

yukon
Class G

Senator Jensen

Post by yukon »

"I voted against the war before I voted for it"

John

rv6ejguy
Class G

Post by rv6ejguy »

John, I wonder why you are installing an O-235 in your -9 if you are so concerned about performance here. I can guarantee that you'll be a bit concerned taking off on say 1800 feet of useable grass on a hot day over 50 foot trees at gross too!

Seems to me that Chad's comments are reasonable about what we see in the video and he has experience in both Egg and Lyco RVs. Do you? Why so negative on the whole Sube thing? If you do choose not to go that route, fine. Everyone will make up their own minds on the subject.
Ross Farnham

Flying RV6A turbo Subie
Building RV10 twin turbo Subie

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Re: Senator Jensen

Post by cjensen »

yukon wrote:"I voted against the war before I voted for it"

John
I know...I am the John Kerry of the RV world! :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought of that last night, but I was about to fall asleep. :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: :lmao:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

yukon
Class G

Post by yukon »

Ross,
I am installing the 0-235 for fuel economy and range. I will be very cautious on short strips with obstacles, but knowing I have a 118 hp engine, I will be expecting a challenge. It's when you are sold a 200
hp engine and it performs like 125 hp is where the problem is.

No Ross, I haven't flown in an H-6 RV. I don't think you need to be sitting inside that plane to know it isn't performing like a stock RV.

John

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

yukon wrote:...and it performs like 125 hp is where the problem is.

No Ross, I haven't flown in an H-6 RV. I don't think you need to be sitting inside that plane to know it isn't performing like a stock RV.

John
WHY!? Why do you keep inferring that this airplane performs as if it has so little power? This is the part I do not understand from you John. You have not flown this airplane, or ANY H6 RV for that matter, yet you just KNOW they perform like they have as much power as your 235.

As I've said before, I HAVE FLOWN THE AIRPLANE IN QUESTION OFF GRASS AND HARD SURFACE. It performs like it has about 170-175hp, which is PRETTY GOOD! His airplane weighs 1151, so even at 170hp, it can hold its own. I would say trust me, but I know you won't...

I think your 235 9 is going to be a great airplane for what you want it for. It's a GREAT engine, but you know that. :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

yukon
Class G

Post by yukon »

Senator Jensen,

The Lycoming RV-7 is well known for becoming airborne in 300-400 feet.
Your video shows that airplane isn't even close to having it's tail up at the 400 foot point. I don't need to be in that plane to see it's poor performance. By the way, I suspect my airplane will look just about like that video at gross weight. But like I said, that's 118 hp talking.

You know who is conspicuously absent from this conversation? David Dormier. I'd like to hear his analysis of this video. He flies off grass all the time with his H6.

John

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

yukon wrote:David Dormier. I'd like to hear his analysis of this video. He flies off grass all the time with his H6.

John
...and LOVES it. :wink:

From the video, how do you find the "400 point"? You have a screen that measures distance? Seems like a lot of people have this technology...

You took this one video of one airplane, and all of the sudden, it's the standard. That's the reason I removed them. Sorry to those that enjoyed them, but it's not worth arguing about.

I can't keep arguing with you about this. It only makes me irritated, and I don't like feeling that way about other RV guys.

Like I said, enjoy your 235, and I'll enjoy whatever engine I choose because it's a flying machine, and THAT is the most important thing.

Good day John.
:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

rv6ejguy
Class G

Post by rv6ejguy »

The grass makes a big difference in TO acceleration. I think the Knig Air E90 manual said to add 50% to TO distances on 3 inch dry grass for instance. Tall grass even worse, throw in high density altitude and lower power output and you have some serious considerations in any aircraft.

I crunched the data on a 118hp RV9 at gross on grass at 5000 feet density altitude and 1800 feet of runway. It is iffy you would clear 60 foot trees at the end.
Ross Farnham

Flying RV6A turbo Subie
Building RV10 twin turbo Subie

yukon
Class G

Post by yukon »

I agree, my airplane will be no short field performer. I recognize that as a limitation, and will choose my strips accordingly.

Where do you get these numbers though? I thought that field was near sea level and 3500 feet long. I know he didn't use it all due to Milt's plane being on the side, but looked like more than 1800 available to me.

John

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Love the good solid debate, the back and forth. We don't have to agree but we do have to be POLITE! Not seeing anything bad. Just reminding everyone we love our planes and not everyone has to do it our way. That's why there is more than one model of RV, more than one engine choice (even in the Lycoming world), more than one color to paint your plane when it's done.

We're one big happy family after all is said and done ... :grouphug:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD