News from Ranier

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
rhb757
Class G

Post by rhb757 »

Hello!
Sorry, have not looked at this side for a while.
OK, Eggenfellner, had some problems, now we are back on line.
Supposed to get the new 3.6 liter subaru middle of april.
Looked up some specs on it and they are not to bad. More hp's , better low rpm torque, regular gas and of course smooth running. Don't know what prop at this time. The 4 bladed one that eggenfellner is selling ( Quinti hub and carbonfiber blades made by sensenich ) looks nice but 4 blades = DRAG.
The engine is smooth already so even a 2 bladed one would do fine.
Prince? He will make on for your application. IVO? The only thing I do not like on IVO is the slip rings are made out of aluminum. I wonder how fast brushes will wear?
Still have not received the Odyssey's. They are sitting in CA.
I have got the Odyssey Simulator running and it looks very nice.
The thing is they use 1.5 amp's at full brightness and that is not bad for power consumption.
Has anybody installed 2 batteries in the rear of the RV-7A. Would like to see some pictures. Thanks
Will be going on one of Bob's (aeroelectric connection) seminars in GA in February if enough sign up for it.
Just some advice, If you are planing to install batteries in the rear, make sure you drill holes underneath the baggage area to run wires. It is hard to do after things are installed.
Happy New Year.
Rainer

rv6ejguy
Class G

Post by rv6ejguy »

I'm getting about 45 hours out of a set of IVO brushes. The rings don't wear at all. Brushes are cheap and about 5 minutes to replace. No problems with my prop after 230 hours.
Ross Farnham

Flying RV6A turbo Subie
Building RV10 twin turbo Subie

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey Ranier!

As a cursory thought, 2 batteries in the back of a -7(A or not) seems like a lot of weight in the aft cg area.

I am trying to keep my tail as light as possible in my -7. This way the elevator authority will be maximized.

They say the -7's are prone to being tail heavy with a small motor and a plastic or wood prop. I am not sure what the Egg package weighs, but personally I would get the engine in place before installing the batteries and do an initial weigh-in.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:As a cursory thought, 2 batteries in the back of a -7(A or not) seems like a lot of weight in the aft cg area.

:) CJ
SOP for the Eggenfellner Subie's...if not other weight is necessary back there. Tom Moore has 9lbs :o of lead weight in the tail of his H6 7A. Dead lead weight. :(
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

NINE POUNDS!?!

WHOA!

:o CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!