Subaru vs. Lycoming

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

I don't think you will ever regret going with the Lyco.

By the way, Welcome to RB! :welcome:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

Im familiar with the Lyco in the Mooney, IO-360.....just loud with vibrations I was hoping to get away from....still a great engine

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Which Mooney? I used to fly an E (IO-360 parallel valve), and an early J (IO-360 angle valve)...both of them shook like wet dogs at startup, idle, and shutdown, both vibrated annoyingly at most power settings. I think it's a Mooney thing, not a Lyco thing because I've experienced one of the smoothest engines in an RV...Lyco IO-360. Sube's are smooth too (smoother???), just a different frequency...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

rv6ejguy
Class G

Post by rv6ejguy »

Mooneys and Grummans seems to have a lot more shake and vibration in their Lycoming installations than say a 172. I'm guessing structure and mounts play a large part here. The Lyco RVs I've flown were more towards the Cessna range and pretty tolerable- not too much of the wet dog thing at startup and shutdown. The Lyco gets the job done- but it is not refined by automotive standards- if this matters to you.

I agree with Chad, the low frequency exhaust pulses and lateral shaking in the Lyco is more noticeable to humans than higher frequency stuff the Sube puts out.
Ross Farnham

Flying RV6A turbo Subie
Building RV10 twin turbo Subie