Chevy 4.3 Liter V6

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
Ramrod

Chevy 4.3 Liter V6

Post by Ramrod »

Just found this forum - what a great place :P

I'm in the "research" stage at this point. I've pretty well settled on the -9 - don't know if it will be the -A version or not. I'm concerned about some structural issues on the nose wheel - but that's another story.

I'm looking for people who may have installed the Chevy 4.3 liter V6 using the Belted Air Power PSRU. http://www.beltedair.com/

My research, so far, has not turned up anything negative about this conversion. I've talked to Paul Orf ( -6) and he reports no problems at all.
Paul kindly invited me down to look at his airplane/engine and when I can get time I plan on going to visit him.

Several people I've talked to report FWF cost in the range of $7500 if you are careful with your purchases - I think the FWF kit from Belted is in the 13K-14K range.

Thanks -

Rodney Wren

Ramrod
Class G

Thoughts from Anyone

Post by Ramrod »

I see that a few people have looked at this post, but no replys yet, so let's open it up to any comments that anyone may have.
Regards

Rodney Wren

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

welcome rodney! i am planning an auto conversion as well, but a rotary. i guess my question about the v6 would be weight. that's a fairly heavy engine for an rv, isn't it? i don't know much about it, but i do know there are a few flying. i've seen it in a couple of ww1 replica's and 3/4 scale p-51's.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I cite the "straight forwardness" of a Lycosaurus installation as a primary reason for my decision. Of course it isn't HERE yet, so it is all subject to change... but I think it won't.

I DO understand the appeal of the auto conversions, though!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I havae a friend in Wenachee Washington who has a Rv6A with the chevy engine and as far as I know has been flying great. I think the economy is reasonable.
Dan 42.5 hrs RV8 742DA Free of the restrictions!! Yeah!

Ramrod
Class G

Thanks for the input - Anyone else??

Post by Ramrod »

Chad – I’ve been reading your web site with a lot of interest. The FWF weight of the Chevy is going to be 413 lbs + about 12lbs for a FP prop – so about 425 lbs ready to go. I could not find any weights on the 0-360 FWF, but I think I read somewhere that the Chevy will be about 50 lbs heavier, ready to fly. Maybe someone knows the actual FWF weight of the 0-360 and can help me out here. I have read that the Mazda your building should be lighter. Is that right? I hope you can take a lot of pictures of your overhaul process and post them – I know next to nothing about a rotary engine and so will be very interested to watch your progress. From everything I’ve read – the rotary engine is a great choice. Some information I’ve seen indicates that a budget of about 10K would be realistic to acquire, overhaul, and install a rotary. Maybe you can enlighten us on a realistic budget figure.

Capt-John – I too am concerned about the complexity of the engine installation. That is why I want to go look at an actual installation before making any commitments. Belted Power has developed the motor mount and as far as I can tell, most of the engineering and testing for this system is a done deal. They tell me there are two -9A's flying with this engine and they are going to help me get in contact with those folks. From the information I’ve seen on the web and in talking to Paul Orf in Canton, Tx, I’m fairly well convinced that this installation is no more challenging than a Lycoming or the Mazda that Chad is doing. Having said that, let me reserve the right to change my mind after an actual on-site inspection. Still I am hopeful that the FWF package can be put together for about 10K. Unfortunately, if it runs much more than that I may have to drop back and consider a Zodiac 601XL.

Dan – would be possible to get the phone number of your friend in Washington that is currently flying one of these engines? I sure would like to talk to him.
Regards

Rodney Wren

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

the rotary should be quite a bit lighter than the chevy, but will be about on par with an O-360, and a little lighter than an IO-360. i'll have to wait and see if this will ring true. i will be taking a bunch of pictures when i tear that engine apart this winter. i probably won't use this engine for the airplane, unless it just looks great on the inside. i'll put all of these on the website. a 10k budget is probably on the low side, but depends on parts and if they are new, used, or overhauled. if i do the install myself, i'll have around 15k in it. the fwf kits that are being developed will run around 30k! :o so, i'll probably do it myself. i have a good friend doing the same thing, and he is about ready for an engine start. i'll post pics of that here when it happens-maybe by the end of the year.

keep us posted on the chevy! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Rodney, don't can the RV due to engine costs.

Build it and install a used 0-320. There are a million of them out there for a song! Probably what you would end up paying for an auto conversion IF the numbers rang up right!

The RV is just SOOOooooo much more airplane than the Zodiac. I am glad I changed my mind now. If I had bought Zodiac, it would have been wasted money.

We NEED faster, more capable planes!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

agreed! 100%! stay with us rodney! :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support