Mistral

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
jim_geo
Class C

Mistral

Post by jim_geo »

I'm looking the Mistral web site over and wonder if anyone here has any input about rotory engines. A question I have in particular would be GPH. At 190 pounds and 190 HP it sounds like a great unit.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

well, i may be the lone rotorhead around here, but that means i can probably answer your questions. i love 'em! i MIGHT use one...that jury is still out, but i can tell you that mistral has the best engineered rotary available. that engine, while very expensive, is made from the ground up as an airplane engine (even though it's really not). it does weigh more than 190 though...it's more like 290, but it's comperable to an O-360. horsepower claims are not yet substantiated, but 190hp should be feasible. most rotary installations out there are running 150-180 or so hp. the renesis is supposed to put out 210hp normally aspirated, but that's a guess at this point. it's really a great alternative when you think about how it operates, but it's not well proven yet, in airplanes anyway. tracy crook has been on the forefront of rotary installs for a lot of years now (like 20), and he still has bugs to work out. a good friend of mine has one on the nose of his -7, and should fly this summer. i'm anxiously awaiting that to see if he gets the performance numbers he expects. that will be a big factor in my decision when i get to that point.

there is a lot more to buy than just the engine from mistral. it does use the regular dynofocal mounts that the lycs use because they re-engineered the rear plate. and, it does have an optional mounting plate for a hydraulic prop governor. that's a big plus, 'cuz none of the other rotary's have this. they all use FP or electric props. exaust is gonna be expensive because the amount of heat generated by these engines is enormous. inconel steel will be necessary to capture and route the exhaust. i've heard that regular 4130 or the like will just melt away in about 25 hours on a rotary. :o

i am a big fan of the rotary, and i may use one, but i just need to see more of them being used without problems first. :wink:

the ultimate rotary??? innodyn... :mrgreen:

they say that if you want to experiment and work on the plane, go alternative. if you want to fly, use a lyc... :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com