Avionics Upgrade

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
Skid
Class G

Avionics Upgrade

Post by Skid »

I recently did some upgrades to my avionics and thought I would share my experiences.
I started with a Garmin GNS430, GRT Sport SX EFIS with an ARINC unit, and a TruTrak Digiflight 200 A/P with GPSS but no vertical commands.

I went to Oshkosh this year with a mission to look into upgrading my A/P which would allow me to shoot coupled approaches, not that I wouldn’t hand fly an approach but it is nice to have the option. In speaking to TruTrak about the Vizion 385 they advised me to chat with GRT to see if the unit could actually shoot a coupled approach.

The guys at GRT told me I would need purchase a software upgrade to add the vertical A/P commands, which I did. This would allow the EFIS to drive the A/P, I also have a switch that allows the A/P to be driven directly from the 430. GRT also told me I would not get vertical A/P commands from the 430 for a GPS approach, which I knew, they suggested I may want to invest in a WAAS GPS.

The avionics shop I use was at Oshkosh so I stopped to chat with them regarding upgrading to a WAAS GPS. The owner suggested I go look at both Garmin and Avidyne, which I did. You have to love Oshkosh for the ability to see all the avionics manufacturers in one venue.

I have been a Garmin user for the last 20+ years (GNS530 and 430’s) and yet found myself not liking the Garmin 650. I did not like the 100% touch screen nor the icons (I’m not a fan of icons). I also did not like the extra cost for a WiFi card to connect my iPad with the only interface being Garmin Pilot which I don’t use, I use the Fltpln Go app. I was told by the guy demoing the unit Fltpln Go was not supported. The 650 also required a complete tear out of my panel, new tray, new wiring, antenna, cable, the works.

The Avidyne unit I looked at, the IFD440, was a direct slide in replacement for my GNS430, the only changes were changing the antenna to a WAAS antenna and cable to RG400. I liked the hybrid touch screen and buttons, the unit is very intuitive. I also liked the free iPad app, IFD100, which creates a large screen version of the unit and allows for control of the unit, flight plan, radios, etc., it is loaded with Jeppesen charts if you purchase the Jeppesen nav data for the IFD440. The IFD440 has Bluetooth and WiFi at no extra cost, it also comes with a small Bluetooth keyboard, although I don’t know if I would use it.

A third option was to upgrade the GNS430 to a WAAS unit, but spending $4500 on a 16yo unit did not sound like a good idea. Then there is the question of how long Garmin would continue to service the GNS 430 units, although I suspect they will for a while yet.

After Oshkosh I updated the A/P to the Vizion. I was able to keep the existing wiring, TruTrak made up a jumper harness to connect the Vizion to the existing wiring. I also needed to replace the elevator servo.
Then I started working on getting IFR current. I found that the 430 would not drive the A/P to enter a hold on a GPS approach, nor would it fly a hold at all, I guess I should have known this but I haven’t flown IFR in years.
The GRT Sport worked well with the 430 and new TruTrak Vizion on shooting an ILS approach and even an ILS backcourse. As for the GPS approach it would work but if there was a hold at the beginning of the approach the A/P had to be used in heading mode, or hand flown.

In early November I finally decided to upgrade to a WAAS GPS unit and went with the Avidyne IFD440. I got a good deal from my avionics shop on a trade in of my 430 which helped keep the cost down. The install of the unit took about 10 min, which included removing the 430, installing the IFD440 and inputting the settings for the ARINC etc. Running the cable for the new antenna took a bit longer as I ended up having to pull the floor out to run the new cable. I didn’t install conduit under the floors and had zip tied the existing cable in multiple locations under the floor. The new antenna had a slightly larger footprint with a matching bolt pattern so it didn’t require repainting of the fuselage top skin.

I have not had a chance to fly with the unit as I just finished installing the antenna cable and antenna. I have had the airplane outside for the GPS to connect to the satellites and just a brief check out of the unit. I setup the IFD440 WiFi to connect to my uAvionix Echo WiFi as a client and also the iPad as a client. It allows me to control the IFD440 from the iPad, have the charts on the iPad, and have the traffic from the Echo display on the Avidyne iPad app. The Echo is also connected to my GRT Sport SX as is the IFD440 via the ARINC unit.

The next phase will be a backup EFIS but with the fun governor watching I have to do this a step at a time. :P

Time will tell if I made the right choice. I will have to see how all the units play together once I get into the air, although since it is winter in WI and I’m on a grass strip that may be a while depending on the weather.

Skid
Skid
RV6A IO360 B1B

Skid
Class G

Re: Avionics Upgrade

Post by Skid »

I have flown with the 440 a few times, but have not flown any approaches yet. Jeppesen updates are a breeze and do not require the adapter as the 440 uses a USB stick (supplied with the unit) which plugs into the front of the unit. So far I am impressed with the unit. It is more of a flight management system than a NAV/COM/GPS, maybe that’s the massive jump in technology from a 2003 GNS430 to today. The menus are very easy to navigate and many functions are automated. I hope to start flying some approaches late this week or early next assuming the weather cooperates.
Skid
RV6A IO360 B1B

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hey Skid-

I have a GTN650 connected to a SportSX. I have been working on my instrument rating in it and am very impressed with the combination. I also have a TruTrak Vizion 385 which is amazing for the coupled approach I've done.

I am looking forward to finishing up my rating and really seeing the full capability of the GTN650/SportSX/Vision combo!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Skid
Class G

Post by Skid »

Hey Mike,

I am working with GRT on an issue when the 440 is driving the A/P through the Sport it will fly through a fix before starting its turn, this does not happen with the 440 driving the A/P directly. Are you seeing anything similar?
Skid
RV6A IO360 B1B

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Skid wrote:Hey Mike,

I am working with GRT on an issue when the 440 is driving the A/P through the Sport it will fly through a fix before starting its turn, this does not happen with the 440 driving the A/P directly. Are you seeing anything similar?

Hmm, I don't recall if I was driving my AP from the GRT or directly from the GTN when I tried this. I will let you know.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Skid
Class G

Post by Skid »

I contacted Avidyne and their support guy tells me the IFD440 will fly to a fix before entering the hold, which is what I was seeing. This is only if the fix is for a hold entry not an enroute fix.
I am still arguing with the Vizion regarding the climbing through an assigned altitude (set on the SportSX). I am working on a process to avoid that nasty issue. TT tells me that is normal and is spelled out in the manual, I don’t think it should be normal to climb through an assigned altitude.
Flying has been slowed by the weather here, trying to get my instructor and the weather scheduled at the same time has been a challenge.
Skid
RV6A IO360 B1B