To AH or not to AH.

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
jim_geo
Class C

To AH or not to AH.

Post by jim_geo »

I’m wondering what you all think about this. Any of you that have had the chance to take a ride in one of the Vans demo planes probably noticed, or had it pointed out to you, that the Vans RV7 and 8 factory planes don’t have an artificial horizon on their panels. I have never found artificial horizons a lot of use and considered not putting one on my panel. Last summer I bought a Garmin SL30 and opted to add a glide slope to the package. This radio comes with the encoder built in and at the time it made good sense, it still does. My quandary now is this, if I’m going to the expense of including a glide slope purely as an option and my reasoning for doing that is that not only is it fun to play with but that I feel there is an increased safety margin if conditions get bad. Shouldn’t it follow that an artificial horizon is also something that should be included on my panel? I’m really interested in seeing what you all have to say.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

With New England's summertime haze, I would not build a plane without one.

Besides, if you plan on doing any cross country (I am sure you do) marginal VFR is a fact of life.

I consider it to be standard equipment, personally.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

captain_john wrote:if you plan on doing any cross country (I am sure you do) marginal VFR is a fact of life.
Really? What do you mean?

I am strictly VFR - no instrument ticket yet. I fly to CO from IN every now and then (once a year or so) but haven't had any marginal VFR experiences ... I am pretty anal about the weather when I take long x-country flights.

I will have one in my panel, but I'm planning on going glass, and it is a part of the package. I agree that it would be useful in an emergency ... hopefully I'll never need it!

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thomas, I mean marginal VFR is a fact of life.

It just happens.

RV-7

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I've never flown a plane without an AH (expect when the instructor covered it up during instrument training). I can say that the work load goes up without one compared to with one when doing just about any maneuver except straight and level in calm conditions if you are trying to fly by instrument. Having a panel without one would make me uncomfortable at best, even in VFR conditions, but I admit I have a leaning towards instrument flying and technology in general. It comes down to what kind of flying you want to do and how likely it is you allow yourself to get put into a situation where an AH would actually be of any help.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Don, very well said. That is what I meant to say!

Thank you for saying it so eloquently!

RV-7

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I'm with Tom. Why not just go glass? Get a Dynon D10 or something like that? That will buy you an HSI on top of that AH (and some other doo-dads too.)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

captain_john wrote:Thomas, I mean marginal VFR is a fact of life.

It just happens.

I guess I see what you mean, but I have to disagree. I don't think it "just happens." With all of the weather resources we have both on the ground and in the air, I think that if you fly in marginal VFR you are making the decision to do so. Maybe I'm too conservative about weather, but I don't depart or continue if there is a chance the weather is going to be that bad. Even on long cross countries (to CO is over 800nm), you have fair warning that things are deteriorating and can stop and re-evaluate.

I'm not criticizing flying in marginal VFR, and don't think it's wrong. I fly on marginal days for local training and pleasure flights, just not long x-c flights in unfamiliar areas - especially where there are mountains!

Sorry for the thread creep :oops:

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thomas, It does happen...

the question is; do you want to fly in it!

Soooo, an AH is a very important instrument to me.

I think it was said elsewhere, but the Vans demo planes are just that; demonstrators. I am building a cross country airplane. I am loading it for bear!

Just my $0.02.

8) CJ
RV-7

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I've had instances where I have needed the AH on long cross cuontry flights. I think it's a good idea to have them. Even if you don't intend to need them.
FWIW!.
Dan

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

The answer for me is that I must have one. Having personally screwed up, and found myself inside of the ping pong ball when trying to stay "clear of clouds" while in Class B airspace (I accepted a bad vector) I want one, all of the time. Was it smart? No. But it did happen. I hope to never make another bad decision in my lifetime, but Im not willing to bet my life that I wont, and as such, I want to have reasonably prepared for it.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Night VFR is also a good use for one. If you've ever been out on a clear VFR night in perfect weather and had the light horizon blend with the star horizon it can be pretty helpful. I've lost the horizon over large cities during approach and departure in a turn, as-well-as over mountains and forests. Weather is not the only reason for an AH...........Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Coming out of Nantucket at night is ALWAYS an instrument departure!

Even on a clear night there is no horizon!

...just water!

Kinda SCARY!!!

:lol: CJ
RV-7