AFS EFIS?

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
tmbg
Class C

AFS EFIS?

Post by tmbg »

Anyone looking seriously at the combo EFIS/EMS system that Advanced Flight Systems is making? I know that a lot of people are running their EMS units, and I guess their EFIS is relatively new, but it looks like it blows Dynon out of the water! I had been looking at Dynon, but the AF-3400/3500 is SLICK!

Price is reasonable too... about $2k more than the dynon, but it's way more polished.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ive looked at them a bit. Ill be interested to see them at Osh. I personally dont like putting the engine instrumentation onto the PFD. Id much rather have them on the MFD.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I rather like the all-in-one approach (aside from the obvious redundancy issues!). I'm sorta leaning toward AF-3X00, garmin 496, SL30, some xponder, and a decent audio panel. The 496 is an exceptional backup instrument, but I think I'll probably do a couple of small steam gauges as backups also (AH, altimeter, ASI). Oh, and an AP of some kind.... haven't really settled on that yet. I guess if I get one of the dealywhompers that's built into a TC, I'll have a backup TC as well :)
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Ian,

I have a 3400 on order with Stein. (was informed at the time of purchase it would be about a 3 to 4 month wait time.)
I'm planning on the following for my panel (subject to change without notice) :mrgreen:

AFS 3400 combo
Garmin SL30 (this will let me display the VOR on the EFIS)
Garmin SL40
Garmin 327 transponder
Garmin 340 intercom or PS engineering similar unit.
Garmin 496 panel mounted GPS.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

Dave--

That list looks VERY familiar :)

Do you have it in graphic form for an -8? Just curious how it looks/fits. Still a ways behind you (nice cellar "birthing" pics!), but trying to get a jump on the engine/avionics planning

Joe
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

Dave,

wow, that's the exact list I've got in front of me! (except mine doesn't have the SL40 on it, and I probably will go with the PM-8000B since I have one already and I'm quite fond of it). The other addition for me would be a TruTrak ADI Pilot II, which will serve as sort of a backup AI, and a couple of pitot/static steam gauges. The 496 will also handle a lot of the backup functions.

I already own the 496, and I like how the 496, SL30, and AF-3x00 all play together.

The AFS unit is a goodly bit more than the dynon, which was originally what I had planned, but it's just so durn slick I can't pass it up.

For some reason, I've been really hung up on the simple stupid feature of being able to display more than one navigation source at a time. Seems like most of the EFISes (EFISes? EFIi?) will only display one. The AFS unit will do FIVE! Two CDIs and three bearing pointers. And I love the HSI overlaid on the AI; very efficient use of space.

I'm excited about the upcoming moving map stuff they're working on... my only concern is that from the pictures I've seen, you have no attitude reference when you're looking at the moving map.
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Ian,

Funny you should mention the ADI Pilot II, as I actually have one sitting on my shelf ready to install. I just forgot to mention it. :oops:

I do have a panel layout or two that I've gone through, and I am still changing it around a little. Once I get the next version done up, I'll try to remember and post one for everyone.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I wish I could afford the AFS unit. It does have the nicest display out there. I need a better paying job.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

dont worry scott, I can't afford it either... I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go....
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Maybe it's just us Georgia boys that can't afford this stuff. Those Yankees up north seem to be doing alright.

Okay, so I live in California but I' grew up in Brunswick!
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I haven't actually paid/bought all the avionics yet... But just so you know, I'll be in the poor house once the aircraft is finished :| So I'll be in the same boat as tmbg.

I do work 2 jobs though, so hopefully that will keep me a-float for a while longer. (alas, it does cut into my building time though)
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I just wanna answer my own question....

I played with the AFS machines a good bit this past week, and they do have a page mode which has attitude on the left, moving map on the right, and engine management below.

Spike said he managed to crash one... I still like the thing an awful lot though.
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

How is it that I managed to entirely miss this thread?

Hmmmm, asleep at the switch I suppose?

Anyways, Ian... yes, as you have seen it is possible to split the screen so it will display the EFIS and moving map simultaneously.

BTW, I jumped on the bandwagon last week.

I agreed to buy 2 AF 3500 units while at OSH. I suppose it should work adequately in the -7.

I hope to combine it with a PS Engineering audio panel, an ICOM A-210, a TruTrak Digiflight II XYZ ABC 123 autopilot and a 430. The 496 will be for a back up only.

With all that stuff, it ought to get me outta the glue!

:wink:

Say there Spike, how did you crash the AF unit? Please tell me more. Did you have a hammer in your hand at the time?

Maybe the glitch was in the demo software?

Need... more... info...

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I pushed buttons on all the major EFIS displays / units at OSH and I definitely liked the AFS best. I could walk right up and figure it out with no instruction. Maybe that's not a huge deal, as I know I could read and fiddle and figure out the others, but I just really like the display and the way the info is put out there.
I may pull the trigger here before the show specials end. If I really get going I might need it before OSH next year! :)

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

How did I get it to crash? Basically I pushed a button. I was trying to traverse from one screen to another, and it went boom. It stopped responding, half of the display disappeared, a bunch of white lines appeared at the top.

When I asked the sales doodle "Hey, what does this mean?", his eyes got real big and said that it meant I crashed it. He had to reboot it to get it back. He then gave me a line about it being developmental code.

I had to laugh because at the instant that it crashed, I thought of you and the rift of crap you give me cause I dont' have trust in the experimental glass stuff yet. So, :P :P :P *ppbbbttt*
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hahahaha...

Well, I suppose it is better that you think of me when the unit crashed than when you were in the bathroom!

:lol:

Did you press the "CRASH NOW" button?

That would explain a lot!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

captain_john wrote: Did you press the "CRASH NOW" button?

That would explain a lot!

CJ

CJ--

What kind of buttons do you have in your experimental airplane???!!!??? :o

This sounds like one I would reconsider...or at least put a guard on it :)

Joe
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ohhhh!

Maybe I should differentiate between the "Crash Software" and "Crash Airframe" buttons too!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

smithhb
Class D

AFS vs GRT "Feature by feature"

Post by smithhb »

CJ,

I know you have compared the AFS3500 with the GRT. I'm curious as to what made you settle on the 3500? From my research the AFS is still premature compared to the GRT, i.e., the GRT has fairly advanced mapping with HITS and synthetic airport database, XM weather module, etc.

The AFS unit incorporates an AOA and is more expensive than GRT.

Please elaborate on your decision process.
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bret,

A couple of things tipped the scales in favor of the AF 3500.

It has the better display and is more configurable. I also think that it is easier to talk to Rob Hickman than anyone in particular at GRT. The whole system seems more familiar to me, probably because Rob has put more info out on the web in his install manual than anything I have seen from GRT. The install seems more straightforward based on this.

Primarily, Rob's system is currently undergoing certification under the name of Bendix King. Through this process, I am sure reliability will increase and so will the price. I am getting "in" on it before the price goes up!

My 2 cents, YMMV.

8) CJ
RV-7