Solder this connection ?

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
Wicked Stick
Class B

Solder this connection ?

Post by Wicked Stick »

Are you suppose to solder the coax wire to the SL30's 90 degree connector ?
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

My short answer: Yes

My long answer: There are types where you can crimp the center conductor to a pin and then insert it into the shell, but the type shown appears to require the center conductor to be soldered since there isn't a way to use a proper crimp tool on the joint. I am guessing here though since I don't know that particular connector, and like I said, there are some where using a proper crimp tool means you don't have to add the solder. Unless I have a really good reason not to solder an RF connection, I do. The strain relief appears to comes from the body of the connector on the whole cable, so very little vibration from the cable should be transmitted to the center conductor. Most of our wiring the only strain relief is extremely close to the electrical point of contact and you don't want solder in that case because it can wick along the small individual conductors within the wire turning your flexible conductor into one solid chunk that is far more likely to fatigue and break.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Gil Alexander was nice enough to forward me a PDF copy of the install manual. For whatever reason, when I ordered up the tray and harness, it did not come with the manual.

Below is the page where it describes how to make the connection.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

yup

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Looks good to me too, nothing like getting the manufacturers assembly notes to be sure though.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)