Y Adapter for Ductwork for Avionics Cooling

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
dahugo
Class G

Y Adapter for Ductwork for Avionics Cooling

Post by dahugo »

I need help finding a part! Instead of spending a couple of hundred bucks on avionics fans, I figured that I could use the cabin air intake on my RV-9A and just shoot that air over the avionics. Problem is I want that air for the cabin as well.

I would like a Y adaopter to put behind the panel where I can have the cabin air intakes on either side feed both the cabin (when cabin air is "on") and a hose that blasts air to the avionics (also which I can turn on and off as desired.)

Problem is, I can't seem to find a Y adapter that will do this. Anyone else done this? How?

Thanks,

dahugo

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Dahugo-

I don't think using the fresh air intakes is such a hot idea to cool avionics off with. In the rain I am sure water would come in and find its way into your expen$ive avionics. I agree the dedicated avionics coolers are way to expensive. I think you would be better off getting just a plain simple brushless 12v fan and position it or duct it to the avionics you want cooled. Radio Shack probably has a couple good candidates.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You could probably even have a local machinist fabricate some sort of casing for it a whole bunch cheaper than what the off the shelf units sell for.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

How about a "T" adapter ? It would connect right up to 2" hose as well.

I bought one I'm not using and would sell it for 80% of new.

You can close it off if encountering rain. Re-direct the airflow to either side or both.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

IMHO me thinks thou dost protest too much. A very simple way would be to just cut some vent holes, AKA defroster holes in your fuse skin just forward of the instrument panel. Mount a couple computer cooling fans and you are set. You probably won't even have to run the fans to cool the avionics, but they do come in handy to defrost in colder climes.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI