Dynon EFIS

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
itisgood
Class E

Dynon EFIS

Post by itisgood »

I am getting to the point of making a decision about panels.
I am considering a Dynon 10".
I am interested in knowing if anyone near Central Indiana has one in their airplane that I can talk to about how they like it.

Or I am interested also in hearing about other units that you like.

Thanks
Dave RV7A

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Dave,

The nice thing about RivetBangers is most people flying, or near flying have experience with all of the major EFIS manufacturers - AFS, Dynon, GRT and MGL.

Since I have a GRT, of course I think it is the best! I decided on the GRT Sport primarily because it was the least expensive method for me to obtain a proven system from a company I felt was going to be around for a while, which met all of my goals. I wanted my system to be mainly for VFR, but also comfortable to use in IFR on occasion. Now that they're coming out with an autopilot is just icing on the cake!

What I like about GRT is how configurable the two screen system is. On one screen I can have it split 3 ways to show PFD, engine and a map or hsi. I can do full screen of any of the above. The engine monitor screen is amazing. I really like how it graphs EGT's and CHT's. The PFD shows everything you need to know. Smooth updates and a great interface. Angle of attack internal is nice too.

The best thing I like about GRT is how great their support is. Sandy and Carlos are great at taking care of you quickly. Definitely the best customer service out there. My only interaction with any other company was Dynon. I called and left them an email about whether I could turn off the altimeter and didn't hear anything back. I know, probably an isolated incident since many people here have had great success from them.

Of course to be fair, I have to fess up to what sucks about the GRT system. Some people complain about their engine monitor being a separate box. I like this because of how quickly it boots and is ready to go. OK, on with the criticisms. The map with the GRT's sucks. The stock processor is very slow to draw and update (however, the processor upgrade fixes this). They are also hard to configure since they offer so many options. Maybe the one with synthetic vision is better. I dont know.

In the end, it has been over two years since I have ordered my GRT Sport EFIS's. Hindsight being 20/20, I have no regrets doing so. I know Dynon has come out with its Skyview product, Garmin with its experimental EFIS series and AFS has come a ways too. But for the price point, I still don't think there is a better deal than the dual GRT Sport system (one AHRS, the other is a MFD).

[ChadSlandering] Sidenote: yes Chad, I know I didntt talk about the MGL. I just can't get used to the idea of pushing buttons. I dontt even do that on my phone anymore!!!! [/ChadSlandering]
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

Mike,
Thanks for the reply and your personal experience, both good and not so good.
I e-mailed MGL asking about the price of a "package" , they really do not have a package, neither do most of the others. Price with what I wanted GPS, autopilot, radio. They do not have a radio, but GPS, also autopilot. I saw their unit at Oshkosh this year. Price was around 8,000.

I sent also an e-mail to Dynon and they called me yesterday and again today saying that they felt that a phone call would be better served to answer all my questions.
I do like their syn. vision screen. However, they do not have a radio and only VFR GPS which is all I really need. They did not quote me a price at this time.

I have a friend who recommends the GRT, he says that the support is really good. I am still unsure at this point.
They Garmin is my choice, but my brain says it is toooooo much money. So, I will settle for something less expensive.

I hope to hear from others their likes and dislikes.
Thanks for all your ideas.
Dave

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

bullojm1 wrote:[ChadSlandering] Sidenote: yes Chad, I know I didntt talk about the MGL. I just can't get used to the idea of pushing buttons. I dontt even do that on my phone anymore!!!! [/ChadSlandering]
LOL...button pushing isn't for everyone. Since I have no experience with non-button-pushing EFIS's's's's's, I don't mind pushing buttons. And the buttons are nice buttons too. Buttons make shortcuts easy. Buttons are tangible. And, these buttons are just great buttons. Buttons.

How's that for a good argument! :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

itisgood wrote:I e-mailed MGL asking about the price of a "package" , they really do not have a package, neither do most of the others. Price with what I wanted GPS, autopilot, radio. They do not have a radio, but GPS, also autopilot. I saw their unit at Oshkosh this year. Price was around 8,000.
I snipped the rest 'cuz I can't comment on them, but MGL does have a radio...it's just not integrated to the EFIS. I like the fact that they don't have a package...ala carte makes choosing options easier.

Not trying to sway you, but if you have MGL questions, let me know... 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I have a Dynon 10D and I am very satisfied with it. They have been good to work with and I wouldn't want it married to a radio! I hope I never need to replace either but if you have a whole package deal having to replace an item could be more expensive because you may have to replace the whole package! :bang: Like a lot of the arly consle television sets that most families thought they had to have :bang: with their radio and 33rpm records? You are probably to young to know about those big money in their day when one part went out you had to replace the whole thing :bang: :bang: Of course in those days if a telvision lasted 5 years you were lucky. It also required having a repairman come to the house to fix it :bang: :bang: Not cheap!

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

Bob,
Thanks for your response, I am old enough to remember the "good Ole Days".
Tv's did not last long.
I understand your concern about all in one package. but my thoughts about packages were that I could order a package that I wanted and all the components were all together, i did not have to pick and choose what I wanted. You are right about the radio being separate. If the Efis went down then I would not have a radio and maybe have to replace the EFIS while the radio would be ok. Maybe I should be glad it does not come with one.

I have not been about to determine what the cost for what I need. That is the part that is somewhat frustrating. I really do not know what I need to order.
I need help.
Thanks for listening.
Dave

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

bullojm1 wrote: Of course to be fair, I have to fess up to what sucks about the GRT system. Some people complain about their engine monitor being a separate box. I like this because of how quickly it boots and is ready to go. OK, on with the criticisms. The map with the GRT's sucks. The stock processor is very slow to draw and update (however, the processor upgrade fixes this). They are also hard to configure since they offer so many options. Maybe the one with synthetic vision is better. I dont know.
Well I need to take back what I said bad about the GRT map. I actually never used it before today on the ground. True, on the ground the initial drawing of the map is slow. However, once in the air the map really came alive. It was quick to let me know of airspaces and flight restricted zones ahead of me. Figuring out frequencies and runway lengths and direction on it was a piece of cake! Plus I havent even upgraded to the newest level of the GRT software. This stuff is cool!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS