A210 radio (not intercom) squelch issue???

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
Brantel
Class B

A210 radio (not intercom) squelch issue???

Post by Brantel »

If you are having problems with the your A210 radio squelch (not intercom) always being open or taking the max setting of 10 to prevent it from opening please contact http://www.icomamerica.com/en/contactus ... actType=TS and let them know so they might start to build a case on this one.

It seems that version 1.53 has changed the way the radio squelch works for the worse...
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

A follow up to close this case!

I finally got Icom to agree that there was an issue with my radio after the update so they sent me an Air Freight call tag to send the radio back to Washington.

Upon inspection of my radio, they agreed that the squelch threshold parameter was incorrectly adjusted since they were instantly able to recreate the issue in the test lab.

They reset everything to their standards and sent it back to me.

I have verified that the radio works normally again. User squelch setting is dead on with a setting of "0" not "+10". I am glad this issue is resolved! I can now say that the A210 is just what I need in my VFR machine!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian,

Thanks for pushing iCom so much to get these issues resolved. I have one of the original A210's and have been really frustrated with it lately. It seems I need to adjust the squelch on every flight. I will send it in for the firmware upgrades and hope for good things.

Thanks!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brian,

I still have my radio on the shelf. It has never been installed in a plane but has been back for a firmware update very early on.

I know that there have been several changes since then and to be honest, I have lost count.

Tell me, this latest version...

You sound happy with it. Should I NOW send my radio back for update once again or would you wait if you were me as I am probably years away from installing it in my plane?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Yep, happy now.

1.53 is the latest. I doubt they will upgrade it any further. It took 2 years to convince them to do this upgrade. It is a nice radio just be careful with the ribbon cable.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ummmm, what's up with the ribbon cable?

:? CJ
RV-7

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Nothing just don't be too rough on it when removing and installing the faceplate. No problems with mine.

Kenk
Class G

A210 ribbon cable

Post by Kenk »

Ribbon cable connection on A210 is very easily damaged. I have had lots of experience with cable connectors and, in my opinion, this is the worst. The plated contacts on the board are very soft. If they are damaged, just by removing and installing the connector, the entire board is junk. After Icom, reluctantly, fixed mine I have never removed the connector. I just let the face plate hang, with some support, while installing in panel.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hmmmmm, still have yet to install the radio... but I am REALLY CLOSE NOW!

Wonder if I should send it back for a firmware upgrade before I even plug it in?

I guess that I will have to be SUPER GENTLE with this ribbon cable when I finally meet it face to face!?!

:o CJ
RV-7