Thinking of getting LS Sierra Headsets? Not recommended!

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
Brantel
Class B

Thinking of getting LS Sierra Headsets? Not recommended!

Post by Brantel »

My wife bought her a set of LS Sierra headsets and I have been using Zulu's for almost a year.

Today I flew a flight with the Zulu's and they were as usual, great.

Later I flew a flight with the Sierra's and was totally disappointed! I know these things are $200 cheaper than the Zulu's but for $650 these things still need to be good performers!

I actually turned them on and off a couple times in flight to make sure they were actually on (they were). They seem to have little to no low frequency noise reduction as it sounded like a bass drum beating with each engine pulse. There was noticable more high frequency noise as well. I heard lots more squeaks, rattles, wind noise, etc. than I do with the Zulu's. Even though the headband seems to clamp harder than the Zulu's, if I pressed the earcups against the side of my head, the high freq/wind noise was reduced significantly.

I have sent a note to LS support to see if this is normal or if I got a lemon. At this point I would not recommend the Sierra's due to poor performance in an RV. My experience is that the Zulu's are worth the $200 difference in price!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brantel, Now that is disappointing.

Thanks for the review. I love the Zulu and my big blues. I was planning on trying the Sierras.

Too bad... price is right. (if only they were good!)

:| CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I will let you know what LS tech support sez. Maybe I got a lemon? If so, I will post a followup!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Looking forward to hearing about it. Perhaps you did?

Good luck and I look forward to hearing what they say!

:( CJ
RV-7

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Just a heads-up...

There are a ton of Bose X model used headsets for sale on eBay right now. Some of them are like new if you shop carefully, and they can be had for some very good prices. I think guys are selling them to upgrade to the newer A20 model.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Brantel
Class B

Follow Up!

Post by Brantel »

Talked to LS about not being happy with the Sierra's and they immediately offered to take them back in exchange for the Zulu's and with the normal difference in price due. Seems this is a common thing with those Sierra's!

I took them up on the offer since I could not stand the Sierra's compared to the Zulu's.

It appears that the Zulu's control box has been updated since I bought my first set last year. They have removed the Front Row Center button and the manual now states that this is on all the time. Not sure I like that but we will see how it goes. Have not flown with them yet to know if the new control box is going to be better, worse or the same in regards to performance. The original ones were perfect to me so I don't know why they messed with the design. I never used the FRC button on the original so hopefully it is not going to be something I want to turn off since they removed the button....

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OK, I will bite.

What does the FRC button do?

:? CJ
RV-7