Trio Avionics Altitude Hold AP

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
rvator51
Class G

Post by rvator51 »

Katie and I flew into Gillespie field (KSEE) outside San Diego today to celebrate our 1st year wedding anniversary. We stopped and visited with Chuck, Jerry and Sid, the Trio Avionics EZ-pilot crew at their new digs on the field. These guys are great people as well as having a super product. While we were there, Chuck gave us a demonstration of their new altitude hold hardware and some of the features they are working on. Just like the EZ pilot, it has a lot more features (inital and upcoming) than just the altitude hold in a very compact size. Kind of an altitude hold on steroids. Can't wait until they release it. Hope they release it before this summer so we can use it on our upcoming alaska trip. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV2Alaska2005

Regards,
Tom Velvick

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Tom,
I've just ordered the EZPilot and would like some feedback from someone using it. Do you have one? If so, could we have a report on it's performance please?

Thank you in advance,
Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

tomvelvick

Trio Avionics EZ pilot

Post by tomvelvick »

I was the first RV beta tester for the EZ pilot. They have come a long way from the initial release with better hardware, software and a lot more features. I upgraded to the LCD display because the VFD display washed out in the direct sunlight in my rv-4. I had a Navaid before so all I can do is compare it against the Navaid. We won a trutrak pictorial autopilot at LOE last year for my wifes rv but I havent installed it yet. The EZ pilot has a lot more features than the Navaid. I like the data display on the screen. I end up using it instead of looking at my GPS. In a RV-4 and I suspect a RV-8 the wing leveler function really really helps . I do a lot of cross country and to be able to keeps the wings level while I look at a sectional/flight guide/etc is a big deal. Didnt know how much it helped until after I installed it. Now I wouldnt go back. The EZ pilot can also follow a course or route from your panel mount or handheld GPS. It already understands the NMEA format so I was able to get rid of the black box I used to interface the navaid with my handheld GPS. It follows the GPS course line real close, usually within .01 miles of the line., a lot better tolerance than my navaid. It does a lot better job of intercepting a new waypoint when you are following a route or just intercepting period. My navaid required a lot of messing with several potentiometers to get it set right whene all of the adjustments in the EZ pilot are menu driven so it is easier to calibrate. I also like the course offset feature where you can fly parallel to a gps course line offset by up to a mile, I believe. I use this when I am flying with another RV that is using a gps course in their ap but doesnt have the course offset feature. The EZ pilot also handles the turbulence a lot better than the navaid. I would get big wing dips in turbulence with the navaid which has scared me on occasion. The EZ pilot handles turbulence almost as well as I can fly it manually.

I am going to get their new altitude hold system when they release it. Cant wait to try it.
Regards,
Tom Velvick

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Tom,
Thank you very much for the report. My mail service just called today with news of a parcel, and so I will be picking up my autopilot tomorrow. I just got my Lowrance 2000c today which I plan to use as a driver for the EZPilot. I can't wait to get this bird flying to try all these cool widgets!

I also plan to get the Alt Hold unit when they get it online. I'm getting this stuff now to install in my aileron control system and will install the elevator servo in conjunction with the elev pushrod.
Cheers, and thanks again,
Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I spent over an hour at the EZ Pilot booth during Sun N Fun talking with Chuck and learning about their products. I am a ways away from needing an auto pilot, but when I am ready, I will head in their direction.

I was extremely impressed with not only their product but also their candor and disposition. Chuck is a smart guy and has got a great product in both the autopilot and the altitude hold. There are quite a few safety features on his products as well as quite a few pieces of functionality that are quite attractive.

Id highly recommend looking at this product if you are currently in the market.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

John,
Did he say that the Alt hold is available now?

Cheeers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

No, not quite yet. They did have units there hooked up to demo and they are mightily impressive. What he said was that they were just about ready to deliver, they were just waiting on the production cases for the components. I got the impression that deliveries were just around the corner. It was a great unit too!

-- John

RB Lists - Avionics wrote:

John,
Did he say that the Alt hold is available now?

Cheeers, Pete

Submitted via email