Ordered my avionics yesterday!

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
captain_john
Sparky

Ordered my avionics yesterday!

Post by captain_john »

Well... I got the ball rolling now!

I called Tim Hass from Approach in Minnesota (where is that anyways???) and ordered my G3X, AP and Approach Fast Stack!

I really like the upgrade-ability and future serviceability of the Fast Stack. I think it will allow me to make changes to my panel more easily and minimize my time underneath on my back.

Anyone else here have a Fast Stack? I know Wicked Stick does.

I got 2 screens, Auto Pilot, PMA 500EX audio panel, the AFS AOA indicator, an ARTEX ELT and a tray for a GTN 650 but not the radio.

No ADS-B in or out. I am planning XM for METARS etc and will wait for the GDL 1003 in 2019 for ADS-B compliancy.

Not the panel I envisioned in 2004 when I started this build. Hell... the G3X wasn't even around!

What do you think?

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

CJ-

Congrats on the big avionics buy. Why waste your money on XM (both recurring monthly costs and the one-time purchase)??? Buy the GDL39 and get ADS-B FIS-B weather in. The north-east is lit up with ADS-B coverage.

That pile-of-parts gonna be flying by next summer? :lol: :lol:
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Cool!

Your gonna love the G3X...

I would however get the GDL39 and don't waste money/time with the XM. Unless you want to listen to XM music, save the money and get the GDU370 instead of the GDU375.

Even if you don't have ADS-B out, the FIS-B weather works great. The North East is covered with ground stations.

What xponder? The remote GTX23ES is hard to beat cost wise and the integration with the G3X is slick. It is not small or light but it is remote mounted. It can also use the G3X as a "VFR" ADS-B position source to wake up the TIS-B ground stations.

I highly recommend he GDL39 and the GTX23ES along with the G3X....keep in mind that the GDL39 does nothing in regards to compliancy, its the xponder and what is feeding data to it that matters (Unless you go with a UAT).

Also Garmin's new ADAHRS has AOA ability, another opportunity to save a few bucks.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is sooo awesome dude. Congrats. Obviously we require pictures as soon as you receive the loot!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Naw, no ADS-B for me. Truth be told, I want a radio and the weather part comes for free with it.

I plan on touring the continent in the summers so I think I will get my use out of the subscription.

Brian, all I have is a 327 Xponder. The 23 ES is the way of the future but I am sure there will be some options made available to me in the future that will be even more appealing than that.

After all, how long did it take for you to "re-do" your panel?

Spike, I certainly WILL post up MANY pictures!

Stay tuned!

8) CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ Thinking along the same lines Garmin GX3. Are you having the Approach FS folks do your harness work for you as well??

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

CJ,

You going to attach your XM weather receiver to your G3X system? Or you have some other avionics good you aren't sharing with us??

Talk to me this weekend about AOA. I got something in the works that you might be interested in.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I am planning on displaying all the XM information on the G3X, Mikey.

I have the AFS "A" kit already installed in my wings. What I would really like is to use the built-in G3X functionality but derive the pressure readings from the AFS "A" kit.

I am pretty sure Garmin won't play that way...

:roll: CJ
RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, YES! Tim Hass is very responsive and I am sold on his Fast Stack!

I think it will be the right decision in the end. It is more than getting a typical panel wired, but the ongoing flexibility is huge!

:) CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ Neat, Look forward to watching the process on the panel installation, Cheers G

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

In keeping with the various ways to set up the G3X the GTX 23 remote transponder has a lots of features. I have a 327 in my Cessna and it is great and quick to use if ATC is firing codes at me. If instead you had the GTX 23 with the G3X are you guys aware how you actually load codes and control it.
I have looked at the Garmin stuff but cant find where it is discussed. I could see where you would perhaps do it with scrolling using the joy stick knob but if thats the case it seems to me that is a bit of a PITA as opposed to just straight punching in your code and function.

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

CJ,

Keep in mind that you must pay extra for the weather subscription.

It took 3 months to gut the old, rewire most of the plane, build the new and install. Included changing all the engine sensors.

captain_john wrote:Naw, no ADS-B for me. Truth be told, I want a radio and the weather part comes for free with it.

I plan on touring the continent in the summers so I think I will get my use out of the subscription.

Brian, all I have is a 327 Xponder. The 23 ES is the way of the future but I am sure there will be some options made available to me in the future that will be even more appealing than that.

After all, how long did it take for you to "re-do" your panel?

Spike, I certainly WILL post up MANY pictures!

Stay tuned!

8) CJ

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

simatos wrote:In keeping with the various ways to set up the G3X the GTX 23 remote transponder has a lots of features. I have a 327 in my Cessna and it is great and quick to use if ATC is firing codes at me. If instead you had the GTX 23 with the G3X are you guys aware how you actually load codes and control it.
I have looked at the Garmin stuff but cant find where it is discussed. I could see where you would perhaps do it with scrolling using the joy stick knob but if thats the case it seems to me that is a bit of a PITA as opposed to just straight punching in your code and function.
It's entered with the knob. Quick and painless...just different from the 327/330.

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

B ok thanks Quick and painless sounds good for loading codes. I am thinking the one screen G3X but now I am getting "TWO-SCREEN_ITIS"
probably later this summer> Going to be interesting too follow CJ's install shortly. Thanks you you all and Happy JULY 4 weekend to you all.