My RV-7 G3X Installation

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I thought I would breeze through my Phase 1, but it took almost 5 months! First 18 hours took 4 months, then the last 22 hours in just 2 weeks. I was majorly motivated to get it done by the end of summer. Had a bit of radio issues not caused by me that had to get corrected by the manufacturer which really slowed me down over the first several months. I added up my avgas bill and it took almost $1500 to fly the hours off. I still have lots to work on and tweak, but it is really nice to be able to go places now. Still taking baby steps with the cross countries, but looking to go long soon.

Get it flying, CJ! Hope to be back out there next month.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce,

I hope that I won't have any issues like your radio problem getting in my way. So far, so good!

If you have a chance to stop by again when you are in the area, let me know!

See you soon!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ just wondering where you are progress wise. I just started the G3X install snaking wires for now but really looking forward to flashing up all this stuff, hopefully a few weeks. Cheers G

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary,

I FINALLY have my nav/comm1 installed!

It was lost in UPS world for two weeks and finally was deemed lost in time to get a replacement in my hands for my first flight!

I had to adjust my side tone volumes, tie the software side of the nav 1 radio into the system and set my squelches.

I haven't had a chance to dig into the autopilot functions yet, as I have only 2.2 hours on the airframe as yet.

One weird thing happened to me on the last flight. The maps didn't want to draw on the GDU screens. All I got was a message that said drawing, but nothing ever appeared!

I had to reboot the entire panel in flight and it was all set. Now, if I was actually in the soup that would have been a real issue!

That incident and some from others makes me seriously consider a backup EFIS of some type that is totally independent of the G3X. Perhaps a Dynon D6 where the whisky compass is now?

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

HMMMM. I agree thats a little worrisome. Hope it shakes out as you use the system. Hows the machine fly? Damn you must be so pleased to actually get it in the air. Im thinking if I can get the G3x inplace and checked out I could start up the engine before the end of te year. Keep us posted, Panel looks great by the way, Cheers G