RV-8 G3X installation

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
clreding
Class E

RV-8 G3X installation

Post by clreding »

I received my avionics about the same time as CJ did but haven't made anywhere near the progress. After lurking around this site and learning from all of you, and promising .... several times that i would start posting I'm going to give it a serious try.

Anyway after receiving the boxes I have been seriously rubbing my chin for several months trying to figure out where to mount all of the little boxes that are necessary to make the G3X work.

To complicate my install i had some serious constraints not the least of which is the (in my mind) serious lack of space in the RV-8 to mount stuff!. I wanted to ensure that everything was strong, i really didn't want to find a radio on my knees after doing a roll, I wanted to mount all of the components with servicing them in mind, All components need to be easy to get to (i hate crawling under the panel in my Cessna!), I really didn't want to use up the forward baggage area as i have seen some do. I could have mounted items on the baggage bulkhead but would have necessitated adding support angles inside the baggage area because the metal is so thin and was afraid that doing so would snag bags etc. later

I have uploaded some pictures of what I came up with. One side benefit of the approach is that I should be able to install all of the components, wire and bench test it. Once all of the wiring is installed in the plane i will be able to install the avionics shelf as a unit and plug it in. (at least thats the plan now)

Tomorrow I will rivet it all together and test the assembly according to AC43.13-2A

Components that will be mounted on the panel/shelf:
G3X displays (2), GED29, GEA24, GDL39R, GSU25, Angle of Attack module, Fuel converter modules, GAP26 module, GTN650, GMA240, GNC255 and the Vertical Power VP-X. Ill put up some more pictures when the boxes are mounted:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Craig, glad to see you are moving along with your avionics!

FWIW, there was a thread on the other site where some guy from Europe as I recall, couldn't get his G3X to work. G3Xpert deemed that the problem was because it was on the bench and not in the plane???

I dunno...

Search it out and read the thread.

Anyways, looks great!

We need to catch up again! Stop by the hangar during the AOPA Fly in at KPYM this summer! I should be there with the 7!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is awesome! You will not be lacking in capability, that is for sure!!

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Wow! That's a mighty panel for mighty RV. Great job!
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Craig,

Beautiful panel! What is the box under the GTN650? I don't recognize it :? :?
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

Mike
Thank you, I knew I missed one in the list, Its a Trio pro PilotAutopilot

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Craig,

Why didn't you go Garmin AP?

??? CJ
RV-7

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

I really like the Trio Autopilot, It will integrate easily with the Garmin system, I hate putting all my eggs into one basket and finally and most importantly........ I already had the servos installed in the wing and fuselage when Stein talked me into the G3X :)

clreding
Class E

Update on RV-8 Panel

Post by clreding »

It has taken a bit to work out the details but now have got all of the subsystems located! :lol: Everything fits and I still have room for the IBBS backup battery. Tomorrow ill start wiring! :o
The remote transponder will get mounted on a shelf near the battery .
One small error I mounted the GAD29 just a little too close to the GDU370 connector. I need to use a countersunk screw for the top rear screw otherwise the screw will hit (rub) the connector. :bang: Image

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

WOW!

That is one compact pod of electronics!

Way to go!

Keep us posted!

I like to see the progress pics!

:) CJ
RV-7