ELT Antenna!

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
captain_john
Sparky

ELT Antenna!

Post by captain_john »

I almost forgot about the ELT antenna!

Check out how Dan did it!

http://www.rvproject.com/20030603.html

His friend Randy has a -8 and did it this way:

Pretty cool, huh?

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That is a great idea! :idea: 8)

According to Dan, it won't work that way in the -7 though.

:?: :?:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

I dunno about the tail mounting.

Most forced landings result in the aircraft turning over. How does the antenna radiate any signal from an upside down RV with it mounted as shown. My thought is to mount it in a wingtip which would work upside down also. The downside to wingtip mounting is that the wingtip could be gone after a forced landing!

There really is no optimum ELT antenna mounting position because you have no idea what the orientation of the aircraft will be when it finally comes to rest. Perhaps having good radiation after the engine failure but before the landing is more important. After the forced landing, the best use of the ELT would be to have it readily available in a portable form. Historically, the permanently mounted ELTs that have worked, guided the rescuers to find the dead. It does provide closure for the relatives.

The future ELT's may not be ELTs at all. There is a possibility of using a Satphone or something like ONSTAR instead. That way, if you are still alive, you use your Satphone, if you are dead, you don't. This makes much more sense really, a Satphone with GPS would guide the rescue mission right to the scene with the required equipment and supplies.

Until 2009, you might think about making your ELT portable and accessible. The airline ELTs are like this so that you can jump into your raft and set it radiating for help manually. With a permanently mounted ELT, or one that is not easily accessible, you will be bobbing around in the water in your lifejacket, watching your RV slowly disappear with the ELT on board. They don't work too well underwater.

Something to think about.
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Just a little from my experience.

I rescued a man and his dog from there sinking 50ft yacht (his home) about 125nm out in the ocean. He had been sailing back up to Sydney after following a race down to Hobart. To cut a long story short, a big wave came and left nothing but the hull and aft of the cockpit.

We went out into the night (weather radar was all purple) in the storm and picked his EPIRB up on the homer. Followed the signal and winched him and his dog up in one go as his boat sank right below us (close call for him).

What is the moral to this story I hear you say? His EPIRB was 10years out of date and had no antenna (broke off when wave hit).
He wasn't sure that it was working but turned it on anyway. So, if you are in the S--t, TURN IT ON. Doesnt' matter what it looks like and where it is. TURN IT ON so I can come and get you.

There is also talk that soon 121.5 will not be monitered any more. Dont throw them away. I can still find you on any Freq. I can dial in any Freq. I want to home in on.

Oh yeah, he wasn't insured!!
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Scott

ELT antenna location

Post by Scott »

Unfortunately, I have first-hand experience with how effective the ELT antenna is when oriented horizontally and installed under the empennage fairing.
My -6 flipped on its back and spent the night on a tidal flat, with the ELT warbling away until the next morning when it was shut off.
The satellite picked it up on every pass, all night long, and it was driving the SAR people crazy.
One wouldn't think it would work, pointing the wrong direction and shielded by the large, metal surfaces of the stabilizers.
But it sure does.
SCott in VAncouver

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Scott, thanks for the reply.

Sorry that you had to find this out the hard way!

Glad you are here to tell us about it!

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!