Garmin & Apollo

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
captain_john
Sparky

Garmin & Apollo

Post by captain_john »

What is the corporate Garmin/Apollo connection?

Wasn't Apollo formerly UPS? Did they buy them out?

The Arrow I have available to me has a 430 and the MFD (Apollo MX 20) tied into it and it is really slick. I need to tinker with it to see if it is what I need.

Tell me, to Drive the MX 20, you don't NEED the 430, do you? I was thinking, if that is the case, why not use something inexpensive like the 155 or 300 XL to drive the MFD?

It would make better sense, wouldn't it?

I am baffled...

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I believe the time line was Apollo, UPS, Garmin. Garmin now owns the product line. I believe that many if not most of the GPS' will drive the MX20. Keep in mind that the MFD is not simply a monitor that shows a display. It actually takes location informat, etc, from all difference sources (GPS, Ground Database, weather, lightning, etc) and combines them to form a graphical picture. The more equipment that you interface to the unit the more stuff it can show.

Im not an expert and Ive forgotton alot since we did the panel in 273 but thats a good start I believe.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

yes, Apollo was UPS, now it's all Garmin. The UPS CNX80 is now the Garmin GNS480. MX20 is still MX20. you don't need the 430 or 530 to run the MX20, BUT i don't think that the 155 or 300XL's will run it. i'm reasonably sure that if you don't go with the 430/480/530, then you need to go with the -still available through Garmin- Apollo GX60/65 gps units. it's gonna be Garmin and Honeywell (they own Bendix King) in the certified avionics world before long. as far as current certified gps availability goes, that's really all the options out there. there is quite a variety of comms and xponders out there though.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hmmmm, sooooo... I gotta look at the goody list, see what I like and let them tell me what I want/need and how much I get to pay!?!

Wait! I used to sell Enterprise software on the "C" level and we used to play this game all the time!

Seems like the less you know, the more they pork ya!

It is different on this side of the table!

:o

Maybe attending one of those seminars on the Garmin website would be a good idea? Maybe I could host one at PYM next time?

I really want that Mode S and XM WX functionality!

8) CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

mode s or some sort of traffic is almost a necessity these days!!

i want it, i want it, i want it!!!! :mrgreen:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You do have to verify compatability though. Not all of the data on some units can be displayed on other units.

As far as Mode S, I *LOVE* it. Do some research though as the FAA has said it intends to shut down some of the Mode S support at the TRACON's. At this point I would really look into ADS-B also. It will be interesting to see what the FAA does down the road.

--- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

spike wrote:You do have to verify compatability though. Not all of the data on some units can be displayed on other units.

As far as Mode S, I *LOVE* it. Do some research though as the FAA has said it intends to shut down some of the Mode S support at the TRACON's. At this point I would really look into ADS-B also. It will be interesting to see what the FAA does down the road.

--- John
Wait one COTTON PICKIN MOMENT! I had to come back and re-read this one.

Shut down Mode S at some TRACON's? No one asked me if this was OK! I missed that email!

Also, what is ADS-B anyways??

:? CJ
RV-7