Garmin GX3 versus Dynon Skyview

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
simatos
Class E

Garmin GX3 versus Dynon Skyview

Post by simatos »

Both the Garmin GX3 and the Skyview from Dynon have been evolving over the last few years and at the same time the prices are becoming comparible. Both seem to be pretty powerful systems. I wonder if the builders out there would have any comments regarding the pros and cons of the two systems?? Look forward to any comments. Thanks G

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

For me it came down to what features were available now and how they were implemented as well as how well the user interface and buttonology was designed.

The fact that Dynon still does not have vertical autopilot coupling was also a deal breaker. (I know they say they are releasing it shortly....until they do, it is vaporware)

Screen size is also a consideration. For me it came down to what format meets my needs the best. Are two wide screens better than several narrow ones? How about what happens when you must split the wide screen up into several panes to make it usable? Do those wide screens beat narrow screens when you take mounting and usability considerations into account? Is that second screen even going to be usable by the pilot?

Another factor for me was the bus technology used between the two systems. Dynon's DSAB bus has a track record of being susceptible to external interference. I know they have a redundant bus but the types of things that will take out the DSAB bus are likely to take out both of them at the same time. If you take out the DSAB bus, you lose your AHRS or AHRS's. Garmin uses CAN bus that is used all over the world in vehicles and industrial automation. It is much more robust from my point of view.

Another major factor for me was the amount of work that was going to be required to switch from the legacy Dynon system to the newer Skyview system. Dynon did not make this upgrade path easy and that was a significant factor in my decision.

I could go on for days but this is the major stuff that led me to my choice.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

B thanks for your comments. I am just learning about these systems. It will be the last big expense for the project so I sure need to do my homework to get up to speed. Is it possible for you to explain the "vertical" autopilot comment you made above? I dont know what that exactly means. Thanks G

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

If you have a NAV or GPS source that provides vertical guidance, currently the Skyview's autopilot will not couple to it. That means if you plan to use the AP to fly IFR approaches, you will be forced to hand fly the vertical portion.

Dynon is claiming that they will have vertical coupling for their next revision to the firmware.

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

B Thanks I see what you mean. The Garmin folks presumably have had this sorted out for some time. I think the current pricing for the Garmin stuff is extremely attractive also so I am giving it a serious look. Are you up and flying yet?

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Yes, I have almost 20hrs on the new panel since the upgrade. Love it!

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

Just to give another view. True if you are IFR then maybe you might want the Garmin.
I chose the Dynon not IFR, add 530 if need in future, probably not.
I installed twin Skyviews, not a single problem. 25.6 hrs and counting. System works as directed.

One very positive aspect of Dynon, support is superb, I have called more than once, help was always there.

Second, upgrades are free so far, maps, terrain, approx. monthly.

I cannot say about Garmin, when I purchased, they were more expensive, I did not like the two screens.
One issue I do not know about is support, talk to a real person the first time? Big company, do they care.
I viewed the Dynon forum, for weeks before I made my mind.
Best to you what ever you choose. Glass is good!
Dave

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

Thanks you guys, appreciate the different perspectives. gonna keep doing my homework, pretty cool stuff either way, Just fighting with my cowl now so I will have some time before I take the panel plunge, Cheers G