HUD alternative

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
svanarts
Air Marshall

HUD alternative

Post by svanarts »

A thread on VAF got me to wondering. Do you think it would be feasible to hook in a wearable display to either you laptop or one of the existing EFIS's on the market (if they have RGB or NTSC out)? I'm wondering if someone could plumb a device similar to this: http://www.tekgear.ca/index.cfm?pageID= ... section=83
and achieve good results?

There are a lot of good links to wearable displays on this page: http://www.redwoodhouse.com/wearable/in ... &PAGE_id=5

Am I dreaming?
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

How do you focus on something that is that close to your eyeball ?

I must be getting old, even though I've never had to wear glasses, I notice that I cannot clearly read a business card any closer than 7 inches to my eyes.

Now a HUD that displays on the windscreen would be awesome rather than having to wear and look at something out of one eye.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Dave,

you don't "focus" your eye on it. The device "projects" the image ONTO your retina!

Your optic nerve carries the info to your brain.

Basically, your eye functions as a "silver screen" like the kind you project a movie onto!

Hmmmm, might need one of those!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

From what I've read, the image appears 3 to 6 feet in front of you. You just focus 6 feet away and there it is. I wish I had thought of this when I was looking for a daylight viewable display for my tablet PC.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

With the HUD that comes standard on the Gulfstream. it is actually displayed about 6 inches away from you eyeballs on a piece of special glass. The ONLY way to see anything is to have its light reflect into your retina right?

It looks just like the old ATARI game Battlezone! It is actually drawn with green vectors. Very cool. And of course the EVS (enhanced vision system - FLIR cam) is superimposed off to the side, but still on the HUD.

Only problem: It adds about 600-700lbs to the aircraft :mrgreen:
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Yeah, and several dollars per pound I'm sure as well :). Once the general home computer sector gets into this type of technology in a big way, it won't be long before the experimental EFIS manufacturers get in on the act and we can all have it for a reasonable cost.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I'm telling ya', wear it, don't install it in your plane! :) The privacy eyepieces that you can wear to display your monitor already exist and only weigh ounces. Get your AnywhereMap with XM weather displayed right in front of you.

I wish I could get hold of one of these gadgets to test it out. I don't want to shell out any money unless I know they really work.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

While you're at it, add a couple of 50 cals. and a couple of sidewinders and you'll have it made!! :mrgreen:
Dan

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

And a FLIR that moves with the pilot's head.

With the head mounted HUD and my blue tooth phone adapter in my ear and my knee board, I'll look like a borg.

Let's fly!
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I really like the sounds of this too, Scott.

I am DEFINATELY willing to do some experimentation with products and ideas after the plane is done!

By then, the wireless technology will be better and who knows what our glass panels will be able to export as fas as live data is concerned!

I am sure that simple stuff like alerts, temps and pressures won't be a problem.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Speaking of wireless tech. I can't find it now but there was a posting on one of the forums about a company in Europe that makes instruments that connect themselves to a website and upload operating parameters. Then you can go to that website and download the numbers to do whatever crunching you want to do.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? If not I'll do some research this week and try to dig that company up.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD