More Panel Planning....

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
Brantel
Class B

More Panel Planning....

Post by Brantel »

I have posted below three versions of a panel. Lets just call these Full IFR, IFR Lite (no such thing I know), and VFR. Depending on how my sourcing of funds works out for this project, I may have to make certain compromises in what I can get. The goal would be to make the layout of the lesser systems upgradable to the original full IFR plan. I also do not want a ton of gear in the lower end panels that would not work in the more advanced system. I understand that this cannot happen completely due to the cost associated with the higher end items. Things like the intercom would be sold and replaced with a true audio panel, the com radio could also be sold for a good part of the entry price.

The audio panel pictured here is just a placeholder for most likely a PMA8000. I already have the portable GPS.

I know the 480 is a great product but I am not interested in investing in an obsolete orphan. So far I have seen no good deals on clearance stock so I don't think many of them are sitting on the shelf.

Here is the full up IFR version with AP, price comes in around $28K, full two axis advanced AP:

Here is the IFR Lite version, price comes in around $15.1K, Medium Grade Two axis AP (not shown is the AP74 right below the HS34):

Here is the VFR version, price comes in around $10K, Low End 2 axis AP with integral control only:

Any thoughts on a more cost effective way to do this with the ultimate goal of being able to upgrade to the full platform in the future without tearing the panel apart for each upgrade?
Last edited by Brantel on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hey Brian,

Here are a couple of constructive thoughts:

1) In IFR Full and Lite panels, the altimeter is on the left. You might want to consider putting this on the right so you don't need to reach across the panel or switch hands to adjust it.

2) I understand your concern for not having to rip out the panel every time you want to upgrade it. However, if you start with your VFR panel and upgrade it, you will have to rip it out anyways to make the new holes. I think there is a lot of merit in trying to design a panel that has a future, but the panel components are the quickest evolving components that go in our airplanes. Whats current today is obsolete tomorrow. So why plan for tomorrow today? I saw start with the VFR cheapo panel and when you get the cash to go IFR/IFR light, replan you panel using what's current. Plus - a new panel is only $33 bucks!

3) Having said all that, I like the VFR panel, except I don't think you need the intercom. Doesn't the ICOM A-210 have one build in?

4) I don't see where you want to put the switches. I am assuming they would be under the panel?

Panel planning has been the most excruciating process of my whole project. There are too many ways to put one together, plus you have to run through your mind how you will use it to get the best placement.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Thanks for the comments Mike...

I would rather the Alt be on the right with the full up panel but there just is not any space to put without disrupting the backup instrument scan and or moving the radio stack further to the right which I don't want to do.

Good thought on the upgrades.... HMM might as well tighten up those components on the less expensive versions.

Not sure on the intercom of the A210. Most people complain about built in intercoms being low on quality but I will check that out.

Panel will be 1.5 to 2" longer than stock so all switches and engine controls will go down there.

Once again, thanks for the input!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Install an Intercom with ICOM radio!

Post by Bob Barrett »

When faced with this information my Tech Counselor and also a DAR strongly recomended installing an Inter come. It supposdly gives you better quaility and the ability to communicate without a radio.

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Well,

Got home Wednesday night and find out my wife and I are having another baby! Needless to say, this was not part of the plan but seems it is God's plan for us so my airplane must take on a different scope....

No way am I giving up nor do I want it to take 10 more years for wheels up so here is the new plan. Used engine and basic VFR only panel.

I am pretty much settled on this equipment for the following reasons:

The D180 seems to be the best value for a EFIS/EM when concidering the fact that you can get a 2 axis AP for 1500 more. I also get the AOA for free.

I want at least a full nav com due to the fact that with this and my existing 296, I can do "practice" ADF/VOR/LOC/ILS based approaches to stay current with my instrument ticket.

I want the HS34 for the fact that it makes working with the D180 a breeze as far as setting alt, switching nav sources for the HSI, working the HSI etc. The HS34 will also give audio alerts and pass thru the auto frequency loading to the SL30 from the 296.

I want the AP74 because it does many things to make the built in AP usable.

The backup instruments are there just in case the screen goes black. Don't need anything else, just look out the window and listen.

The 296 I already have.

The SL30 because there is no other option for a Nav/Com that works so well with the D180's HSI.

The transponder is also about the best value for an all digital model.

The intercom is well.... the intercom.

I will be adding an annunciator strip ALA Ironflight between the SL30 and the intercom.

The panel will be 1.5-2" longer than stock and that is where most of the switches and engine controls will go.

I am pretty much settled on this equipment. Any thoughts on the layout and or any more cost effective solutions keeping these requirements in mind?

Total cost for what is shown here less the 296 plus the 2 servos is $13,102

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Oh, and this will be easy to wire up! All serial connections!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian-

Congratulations on your new project!

Save yourself another $2,000 and just get the SL40 or ICOM A210. No reason you need a NAV head for just VFR. Use that $2k to take your newly enlarged family on a nice vacation!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

bullojm1 wrote:Brian-

Congratulations on your new project!

Save yourself another $2,000 and just get the SL40 or ICOM A210. No reason you need a NAV head for just VFR. Use that $2k to take your newly enlarged family on a nice vacation!
I would love to skip it but I need it to do "practice" currency work for my instrument ticket.

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Brantel wrote:Got home Wednesday night and find out my wife and I are having another baby! Needless to say, this was not part of the plan but seems it is God's plan for us so my airplane must take on a different scope....
Congrats Brian!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

Brian,

Here a couple of thoughts on your panel.

My 7A is a slider so this thought may not be applicable. I'm not sure you can mount your Dynon as close to the top as you have shown. On a slider, there is a rib in the way. If so, you may want to move the GPS above/below the radio.

This is just a personal opinion but all of your "keep the plane level" instruments are in the Dynon. These would be the artificial horizon and the autopilot. One failure could cause alot of grief. I know that the Dynons are field proven but stranger things have happened. This is the reason I have a separate artificial horizon(ADI) and autopilot(Digiflight IIVS). Either can be used to keep the plane right side up. I also have a gyro T&B but alot of people don't like gyros. Maybe your backup could be the Garmin display. I don't have any experience with the Garmin 296.

Just a couple of thoughts. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you end up with. Be sure and post pictures when you get it installed.

Good Luck!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Tom,

The tipup does not have the same kind of rib problem as the slider but it does have a rib that has to be moved or modified in order to get the Dynon centered on the pilot. I am adding 1.5-2" more length to the panel than stock so the Dynon will actually be a little lower than what is shown here once I have that panel bent. I really want to keep the GPS below the Dynon because it is most usefull there and I will have perfect viewing and easy to push buttons.

Since this is a upgradeable VFR setup at this time, I am not so much concerned with a problem if I loose the Dynon. If this happens, I will have the backups and the 296 which also has the same panel page that the 396 and 496. Loosing the AP is definately not a problem in VFR. I would not expect to take this plane into actual IMC because of the exact reason you mention. Later if I want to go actual IMC, I will add at least a TT ADI for backup attitude, another Dynon EFIS for the same redunancy level as a stand alone AP and a IFR GPS most likely a 430W.

TomC wrote:Brian,

Here a couple of thoughts on your panel.

My 7A is a slider so this thought may not be applicable. I'm not sure you can mount your Dynon as close to the top as you have shown. On a slider, there is a rib in the way. If so, you may want to move the GPS above/below the radio.

This is just a personal opinion but all of your "keep the plane level" instruments are in the Dynon. These would be the artificial horizon and the autopilot. One failure could cause alot of grief. I know that the Dynons are field proven but stranger things have happened. This is the reason I have a separate artificial horizon(ADI) and autopilot(Digiflight IIVS). Either can be used to keep the plane right side up. I also have a gyro T&B but alot of people don't like gyros. Maybe your backup could be the Garmin display. I don't have any experience with the Garmin 296.

Just a couple of thoughts. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you end up with. Be sure and post pictures when you get it installed.

Good Luck!

newtech
Class E

Post by newtech »

Brantel wrote:Well,

Got home Wednesday night and find out my wife and I are having another baby! Needless to say, this was not part of the plan but seems it is God's plan for us so my airplane must take on a different scope....
Congratulations on your 9 month quick build. I had to re-evaluate my project at the end also. Went from a full IFR GRT panel to a basic but safe VFR one. Using the built-in intercom of the Icom A-210. Backup is "look out the window"

Steve Eberhart, W9BOJ
3EV - Evansville, IN
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, New Panel with Garmin G3X and 696, Icom A210, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is very well done, I like it! :thumbsup:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl