DYNON KILLS DEVELOPMENT OF THE AP76!

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Hope you did not have your heart set on ever upgrading your AP74 to an AP76. Hope you never wanted to get all the promissed advanced features like vertical coupling to anything with the Dynon AP.

From they Dynon forum from Dynon Support:

"Thanks for your patience on this. Delays getting the initial autopilot release out the door have backed up our schedule a bit. As a result, we've had to make some hard decisions in order to get the next generation out in a reasonable timeframe.

With software development winding down on current generation we've decided that the majority of our resources for the forseeable future needs to be heavily concentrated on the next generation product line. We will still be releasing firmware version 5.1 for the current product line which adds several improvements to the Autopilot. However, AP76 development is on hold for the foreseeable future.

As far as future autopilot development is concerned, our current plan is to to bring the next generation products to the level of capability that exists in our current autopilot. When we reach that milestone and move forward with more advanced autopilot features, we will re-evaluate our product mix and determine whether it makes sense to restart AP76 development, or whether we should offer those features exclusively on the next generation product line. Realistically, this means that the AP76 will not reach the market before the end of 2009.

In the meantime, we WILL continue to add additional airplane support through Dynon-produced mounting kits and the release of capstan servos (for cable-drive aircraft). We will also continue to support and troubleshoot the Autopilot and all other current products at the level our customers have come to expect."

One word :x

I have not ordered my avionics/ap yet so my loss to this point is in the hours spent laying out and cutting a panel based on this solution. Those of you that have already bought in have more to loose.

Dynon, this is not cool, not cool at all!

Your own website is still continuing to promise the AP76 and its advanced features...THAT WORK WITH THE CURRENT PRODUCTS!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Well, that's a fine kettle of fish!

I've been making plans to cut my panel, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.....BECAUSE of things like this. I will probably wait to cut the big holes until I have the components in hand.
Brian
Townsend, MT

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Sounds like Dynon bit off a bit more than they could chew. Economic downturn may be playing into this.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

It is best not to start cutting the panel until you have everything you plan to put in the panel purchased and in your shop. I did that with mine and I am glad that I did. I also made a radio stack but have a cover above where my ICOM & Transponder are located. They are at the bottom of the stack and the cover comes off easily with 6 screws. Some day I will have some type of GPS mounted there and maybe traffice avoidance. I don't know and have will wait until some things firm up.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Yipes. Not good from a PR perspective, at a minimum. Maybe the next line of product will be overwhelmingly good?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Better be overwhelmingly cheap too so that the guys who have to ditch their current setup can afford the next setup.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:03 AM, RB Lists - MFDs Engine Monitors <support@rivetbangers.com (support@rivetbangers.com)> wrote:

Yipes. Not good from a PR perspective, at a minimum. Maybe the next line of product will be overwhelmingly good?

www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
N202PJ - Lindy bound

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29126#29126

--
Scott VanArtsdalen

"Resolved, when I fear misfortunes and adversities, to examine whether I have done my duty, and resolve to do it, and let the event be just as providence orders it.  I will as far as I can, be concerned about nothing but my duty, and my sin."
-- Jonathon Edwards

Submitted via email

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

It doesn't ditch the current functionality though does it?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl