The Dynon Stuff

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
captain_john
Sparky

The Dynon Stuff

Post by captain_john »

I found this pic and thought I would place it here.

I am sold on the Dynon package and was hoping others would add their own personal experiences to this thread.

Right now, I have ordered the www.safeair1.com mount and installation stuff for the AOA Pitot. I am wiring the wing for the HEATED tube, once it is announced.

I can't wait!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

John,
I like the Dynon stuff too. It's hard to get anything much bigger into an "8" panel. I noticed that the horizon does not have the attitude bars labeled with degrees. This is an important oversight in my opinion and I have pointed this out to Dynon. They said it is in the pipe but I will not buy the D10A until this fault is rectified. If I am pitched up at 45 or 55 degrees, I want to know where I'm at, pitchwise. Not just be looking at a bunch of lines on a screen.

Take a look at the Grand Rapids Sport version of their EFIS ONE. This is an impressive unit also and much brighter at 450 NITS. I am leaning that way right now but cost rears it's ugly head everywhere.

The important thing about chosing an EFIS, is to make sure it is non-dependent on GPS input. That is, it will stand alone without GPS input. This is not the case with the Blue Mountain stuff.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Pete,

Aren't the inrements 15 degrees each, as in that of an ordinary attitude gyro? Maybe I am assuming more than I should, but that is what I would expect.

I have seen the GR stuff, and itr looks good. The price is pretty hefty, as you said.

I too, am not really fond of the Blue Mountain stuff.

It seems to me that the GR "Lite" unit is really quite new. How long has it been out? I like to see a user base established before I buy into one.

8) CJ
RV-7

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Capt. John
Usually, the pitch attitude marks are every 5 degrees, the 10 degree marks are longer, the 5 degree marks are shorter. The 10 degree marks should have numbers attached, I.E. 10, 20, 30, all the way to 90 degrees. Most airliners/jets rotate to a pitch attitude of 15 to 20 degrees max. So they give you marks every 5 degrees for that purpose.

Picture yourself in an upset condition however. (No, you are not cranky, your airplane has been upset!) You are pitched up, to say, about 60 degrees. With the Dynon EFIS, how do you figure out what your attitude is when all you can see is blue and hash marks with no numbers attached. I mean, you could be on the downside of a loop and not know it?? That is what I mean when I say that the pitch attitude numerals are important.

You are right when you say that the GR "Sport" model is quite new. (The Intro was at Sun'nFun) It incoporates the AHRS into the actual unit "in dash" which adds to the length of the installation. The EFIS One has a separate AHRS/ Air Data Computer unit remotely mounted. The Sport does not do all that the "One " does, but it still does quite a bit, plus it will be upgradeable. I have two friends building RV's and they both have installed the GR EFIS One units. I like them because the guy designing the units worked for Boeing and did the 737 New Generation EFIS and the 757 EFIS which I have flown. I think he has made them even better than the Boeing units as far as easy to use. I like that you will see IAS, TAS, and G/S all on the left side of the display, plus the wind direction and strength, plus,plus plus.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Pete,

All great stuff to know! Well, in the past I have found my plane upset (not me). It was VFR, night over the water. I looked out the window and when I looked back, things weren't where I expected them to be. The steam panel that I had didn't have the pitch marks and I also suppose it probably wasn't that accurate considering that it IS a gyro and with considerable pitch changes, it likely suffered precession.

I see why you would want pitch attitude information. Realistically, while I am adjusting my scan to this display, I would likely turn that function off until I have grown accustomed to the new presentation. THEN, I would start enhancing functionality. It WOULD be good data to have, indeed.

With that learning experience, I would like to enhance my own panel with these new tools we have available to us now. Questions, How FAST do they update the displays? Can you "tumble" the data computer and/or does it precess?

From a practical standpoint, EITHER display is a HUGE upgrade from the old school stuff (IMHO) and cost is a factor. I am not going to shell out thousands of dollars for pitch increments. If there are additional functions that add to the decision, I would dig deeper into my pocket.

I am keeping this window open and will look harder at GR.

What is the cost of the GR unit? I will check their site and competitvely weigh the decision.

Any other players I should consider?

:) CJ
RV-7

Marine
Class G

Post by Marine »

mustang wrote: The important thing about chosing an EFIS, is to make sure it is non-dependent on GPS input. That is, it will stand alone without GPS input. This is not the case with the Blue Mountain stuff.
May want to double check your facts because this statement is incorrect. The Blue Mountain units do use the GPS to aid in the solution when it is available (as do several of the others). It does, however, function just fine without it.

PJ