All New RV-3B Wing

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 3.
Sloanie
Class G

All New RV-3B Wing

Post by Sloanie »

I have a question. Has anyone out there flew the new RV-3B wing? I have my New RV-3B in the air and the ailerons are way to quick! It seems the bell cranks are 1 to 1 ratio. I need to slow them down. Any suggestions? Sloanie (Indiana)

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

Keep your forearm planted on your leg and and it will keep you from moving the stick too much. You'll get used to the sensitivity. My plane (Mustang II) moves drastically with 1-2 inches of stick throw.

Do you have any pictures of your plane?

Sloanie
Class G

Post by Sloanie »

Thanks for the advise. I have photo's but not sure how to post them.

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Did you make any mods to the wings or the aileron bellcranks, etc? Just wondering because you mention the ratio ... I don't know what the stock setup is...

Where in Indiana? I am at Indy Metro (UMP)

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

Sloanie
Class G

Post by Sloanie »

The current bell crank ratio at the wing is 1-to-1. At the pivot point of the wing bell crank to each push tube mount is 3". I extended the arm the the push tube from the stick hooks to by 1". This did slowed down the aleron travel. I figured around 30%. My only other area I can change is to drill another hole at the wing bell crank where the aleron push tube hooks to. I can shorten this by maybe 1/2". Plan to fly before I make any other changes. I hangar at 50I and fly with all the Indy guys. Most out of 2R2.

Sloanie
Class G

Rebuilt the Bell Crank - Flying now!

Post by Sloanie »

By adding 1" to one arm of the aileron bell crank for both wings did the trick. This thing flies like a dream now. I have marked up prints I faxed Vans.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Good job. Its cool to see people playing around with their planes and trying new things. Keep up informed if you do anymore.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl