Any thoughts on this?

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
captain_john
Sparky

Any thoughts on this?

Post by captain_john »

http://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safe ... ation.html

When I am instructed to position and hold, I leave the plane angled on the runway to view the approach. (I know that it wouldn't have helped the Pilatus pilot in the sim)

Anyways, once a controller actually reissued the P&H instruction to me after seeing me at an angle on the numbers. I took this as "straighten your plane out" and then he cleared me to go.

I am not aware of any FAR that states the plane must be lined up on the runway before being cleared to go. Are you?

Do you have any comments on the sim?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Man that made my skin crawl......

The lady controller seems to screw up by giving them clearance to position and hold while the other plane was rolling...... Did I understand that correctly?

She also was very slow about canceling the clearance...trying to figure out who she wanted to cancel. If in doubt cancel them both!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You could tell that she peeed herself. Yipes dude, that was close. Humans are Humans and we make mistakes. What blew my mind was that she issued those clearances not 4 seconds apart. I am amazed at what those guys have to do all day long.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Most probable factor was the controller didn't realise the PC9 was an intersection departure and thought it was lining up behind the jet. Thats why towers have wonderful big windows to look out of! My 2 cents anyhow, being a controller myself.
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

DocRob
Class G

Post by DocRob »

Oh Man Pucker factor of 12 on that one :o :o