Took some air to air's today

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
N200PF
Class D

Took some air to air's today

Post by N200PF »

I wasn't the "official photographer" this morning but I got to ride along in the camera ship and shoot what ever I wanted through the dirty back windows of the 172. He got to shoot out the open windows so he will get all the color fidelity and will be sharper...

Here's a sample from my shots: Photo is of my instructor Doug in his RV-4

The challenge of the day was bluring the prop in to a full fan without bluring the plane. I shot this at a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second. I don't konw how the other guy's stuff came out but he never shot below 1/200th. :? He must know what he's doing...he's a PRO right!?!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That came out really good!

I don't know much about shutter speeds, but the prop looks cool as a disc!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Very nice Peter! I'm supposed t oshoot some photos of a friends 8 as soon as we can get together. I have some I took earlier at 1/160 and the prop is not a full disc. One thing I read that makes sense to me anyway is that you want thepilot to maintain a high prop RPM while your shooting. Makes it easier to get the full circle prop which looks much better. Ddi you shoot any at higher shutter speeds? If so, what speed did the prop start to not show a full disc? I'm planning on shooting a lot of images from 1/60 on up to around 1/160 because I'm not sure where I will loose the disc. Guess I'll know after the first time. :roll:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

John -

You are RIGHT ON about the pilot keeping the RPM's pegged!

My rule of thumb for shutter speeds is as follows:

2 blade prop - less than 1/100th to get the full fan effect
3 blade prop - Less than 1/160th to get the fan

With each of these I am using electronically stabilzed lenses in addtional to smooth air and a light steady grip to keep the plane sharp. You can also use a bottom mounted gyro stabilizer to keep things tight. Those work great and can be rented at most photo stores!

If I try and hand hold a 200mm lens at less than 1/100th even on the ground my images blur. In the plane it's even worse hense the "VR" or Vibration Reduction lenses.

...hope this help! :)

- Peter

PS - Don't shoot through the windows if you can help it or your shots will have dull color like the one above. Also, put the sun in front so it will reflect off the prop and move the shadows back on the plane so it looks like it's moving forward. (see shadow under HS...would look funny pointed the other way)
Peter Fruehling

JohnR
Class B

Thanks for the info!

Post by JohnR »

Peter, that helps a lot! I shoot a Nikon D200 and will probably use my Nikon 18-200 VR lense for the air-to-air. Another friend is going ot fly me in a 172 and I'll be able to shoot out the open window. The info on the shutter speeds will be very helpful. I will tell the pilot to keep the RPM up and the sun in his eyes. :)

Your right about the VR, it is great. I have some stuff I shot hand held at with a 400mm on my digital which is equivilent to 600mm and it is very useable. With out VR I wouldn't even want to attempt it.
JohnR

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Hmmm, 2400 rpm ... 40 times around per second ... if two blade prop ... that means the whole disk could be covered in one half of 1/40 of a second. So anything shorter in duration than a 1/80 of a second shutter speed would not have the whole path of the prop covered. Just guessing, but it sorta makes sense. Taking a good picture at 1/60 takes a steady hand ... so nice shot!
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

OK Don's going to be the smart one in the group! What took you 5 seconds to figure out in your head took me 3 days of trial and error to figure out behind the camera. :mrgreen:

The next time I'm talking it through with someone I'm shooting I am stealing your explaination!

...and John that is the EXACT COMBO that I was shooting that day! I do have the grip (MB-200) that helps a little. I'm sure yours will be GREAT!

Be sure and post'em!

- Peter

PS - One more for the road...at 1/60th

Peter Fruehling

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

WOW! That is one very NICE picture, whatever you are doing, keep it up.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Okay Don, that is just so logical, I should have thought of it myself. Thanks.

Peter, I had the extended grip on my D100 but decidedto try the D200 without it. I'll see how that goes. Nice shot there. What do you use for post processing?
JohnR

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

John -

I just send it to a local shop via the web and they mail prints back to me.

It's funny how we don't print everything to look at it anyore! I used to have stacks of misc. photos and now it's just a set of CD's!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

That pic is sweet!!

Did anyone see the pic of the Mooney in the article in the most recent AOPA mag? There is a small pic inside the article that really highlights the prop disc in the AM sun.

Thanks for the tips!

Thomas