Christmas Angel Flight

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
captain_john
Sparky

Christmas Angel Flight

Post by captain_john »

I had a short notice call from my buddy George to join him on an Angel Flight yesterday. I figured, what a great, unselfish thing to do during the Christmas season!

I pulled the Cherokee Six out of the hangar in Plymouth around noon time yesterday and headed for Boston Logan airport not even knowing the patient's name, but realizing the desire to touch someone's life.

I taxied up to Signature Flight Service and the lineman told me that my passengers were waiting. I set up the intercoms and strolled inside. George introduced me to Trish and David. Trish is a sweet girl who suffered from ovarian cancer. She had her ovaries removed at the young age of 24 years and was given a clean bill of health, as this was her last treatment in Boston!

She and her boyfriend David live outside Bangor. George had already filed IFR and he took over as PIC and we pitched it into the wind.

While enroute, George tuned in XM station "Holly" and we listened to Christmas music. Trish really liked that because she spent the whole week in the hospital and kinda got "ripped off" this year. She was thrilled to be flying home and said it was the best Christmas gift ever! The drive home would have been over 5 hours for them and she really appreciated it! The music and scenery really made the trip special for her.

We descended through some clouds and broke out at 2,200' AGL and continued on the ILS to runway 33 at Bangor, Maine.

Upon reaching the FBO, our passengers' ground transportation was already there and waiting. We bid them goodbye and filed for the return trip home.

I dropped George at Boston and lit the fires right away and shoved off for Plymouth. The trip home is a short one, about 30 miles. I stopped by my hangar first, as it is along the way and I saw Bill's JEEP parked out front. He came out and rode with me over to George's hangar to put the "Six" away.

I was really charged up from doing a very rewarding flight.

This was the best part of my Christmas Vacation!

Have a happy and healthy new year!

Image CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

John, that was a great story! I'm really glad you had the opportunity pop up, and had the means to go for it! Angel Flight is a very special organization (I'm a registered AF pilot), and to be able to give like that, ESPECIALLY during this season, is very rewarding. The passengers just light up that people really do care to do stuff like this, and THAT is what makes it worth it.

:good job: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

That's great John, the joy you brought someone is something they will remember for the rest of their life.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

BrickPilot
Class E

Re: Christmas Angel Flight

Post by BrickPilot »

Wow, that's awesome! Service to others is what it's all about. :)
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Very Cool John,

One reason I would like the IFR Ticket. Speaking of which, I didn't know you had one. Congrats!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks for listening, guys. I must say it was the most rewarding day of my vacation.

It was especially so when Trish said it was her best Christmas gift ever!

What a good kid!

No, I don't have an instrument ticket. It is a requirement for Angel Flight Northeast. George has his instrument ticket. That is why he took the helm in Boston. I Help him by bringing the plane into and out of the city because that is where he lives and it is easier for all involved. I have done much of the training, but stopped short of the test(s) because I lack a plane on which to remain current. When the RV is done and flying, I plan on completing the rating and going all the way past Commercial and possibly ATP. I know that I will do CFI and probably CFII someday.

:) CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Cool.

I have to give you props for flying into Logan dude. That must be a rush.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

It is a WICKED RUSH!

I have flown in there about 5 or 6 times in my brief 10 year career and I get all giddy each time!

This time I used the new runways. Pretty cool.

A good side benefit.

8) CJ
RV-7

steveri029
Class G

Re: Christmas Angel Flight

Post by steveri029 »

BrickPilot wrote:Wow, that's awesome! Service to taxi aéroport others is what it's all about. :)
I explored that area and did all those things on my motorcycle after Oshkosh 2008. It is a great take!
Thanks!