Biggest short flight!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
papakeith
Class D

Biggest short flight!

Post by papakeith »

I took a very important passenger up for a flight this afternoon. Ever since I started taking lessons my wife had given me a promise of one flight once I got my ticket. My wife is not a good commercial flyer to begin with (on occasion she has needed Valium to make it through the trip). The fact that she was able to put that fear aside for me speaks volumes about her.

She was terribly nervous about having to take this flight. I wanted it to be her decision, so I just sat back and let her choose her day. I would let her know if the weather was going to be good and she would decide if that day would be "the" day.

Wel, today was the day. You know what? Once we got to the airport she wasn't nervous like she thought she'd be. She helped me preflight the plane ( I gave her the check list to read to me) and when the runup was completed and we were at the hold short line I had her give me the final go ahead to take the runway,

Well before the flight I let her know that if at any time during the ground portion she felt uncomfortable all she had to do was say the word and we would go park the plane, no questions asked. If, after we took off she wanted to be done, I would get us down as soon as I could, but the minimum at that point would be one trip around the pattern. She assured me that One trip around the pattern would be enough.

That all changed once we were airborne. The first sight she saw when we cleared the tree tops was the city of Providence. She thought that was pretty cool, and commented how different things looked. Then I turned crosswind and she had a silhouette view of Boston on the horizon. By the time I turned downwind she was asking me if we had to land ? I told her we could leave the pattern if she wanted to. With her blessing we flew off over parts of Northern RI for about 15 minutes before returning to the airport.

Once we got back to the FBO she was all smiles and started planning our next flight.

let me say that again . . planning our NEXT flight!!!! I couldn't have scripted a better response from her!! I think I've got a flying partner :)

I don't think I can convey in words how thrilled I was that she enjoyed herself that much. She was beaming from ear to ear. I mean literally beaming! She had a blast, and to top it off wanted to fly out to breakfast somewhere.

yep, today was a good day.

I gotta go build me a plane now. :mrgreen:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Awesome!! Congrats...

Coincidentally, I had a good first flight today, too. Not the wife, but I took Claire, my girlfriend, up for her first flight in a small plane and she was all smiles the whole time. A perfect VFR day here in IN, it was sunny so there were some bumps but she enjoyed the whole trip. We flew for an hour or so and checked out family and friends' houses. She even took the controls and flew for a good portion of the flight.

It is great when someone you care about enjoys something that you are passionate about. Glad your wife enjoyed the flight - makes the building process even more worthwhile!

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

PK, that is great!

I remember how unwilling she "used to be" so this is really awesome!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

aparchment
Class C

Lucky Man

Post by aparchment »

Dude you are very lucky! As they say in these parts, she is a keepah.

I wish my wife liked to fly, but she's just not into it. She doesn't even like to fly commercially.

Congrats PK on finding your inner flying partner.

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

I'm a lucky guy, no doubt.

One of her biggest fears before this flight was that I might become incapacitated during the flight. To calm those fears I suggested a pinch hitter course to her so she could learn the basics. She's said she might like to do that and further stated that she would want Frank to teach her.
I thought it was a bit ironic that she was OK with flying with Frank, who is in his mid 70s, and yet was worried about me keeling over in flight!. Frank and I got a chuckle out of that.:lol: Of course I didn't mention this to her. If it was going to get her up in the air to have the experience I was good with it.

While I'm thrilled she had a good time, I'm still going to take baby steps with her. Next up is flying over our house and farm. It will be just a bit longer flight than this one, but still short enough to keep her nerves from getting the better of her. After that flight I'll probably fly out to Plymouth with her for breakfast or lunch.
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

This is a great flight report PK! I'm lucky to have a wife that likes to fly as well...CONGRATS!!

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

very nice, keeping her in control has to be the key. her being in charge must increase her comfort level.

well done
i hope to try the same here shortly.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

tshort wrote:Coincidentally, I had a good first flight today, too. Not the wife, but I took Claire, my girlfriend, up for her first flight in a small plane and she was all smiles the whole time.
Excellent!

Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a newbie pilot, but I get soooo pumped when someone really enjoys the ride.
Glad your wife enjoyed the flight - makes the building process even more worthwhile!
Agreed! :good job:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

papakeith wrote:I'm a newbie pilot, but I get soooo pumped when someone really enjoys the ride.
I'm not exactly a new pilot, but I feel the same way.

When I was 19 or so and a new pilot, I always wanted to show new passengers what the plane would do, etc. Not the best choice.

Anymore when taking someone flying I spend a fair amount of time explaining what to expect and making sure that if they want to return earlier than planned, all they have to do is say so. Before we ever get to the airport I also tell them that if they want to take the controls, experience a stall, a steep turn, etc. to let me know while in the air. I let them know that I won't ask them if they want to do any of that stuff while we're in the air, because I don't want there to be any implied pressure to do that stuff. I've found that men in particular will never say "yes" when asked real time even if they don't really want to do it. This way passengers have no pressure to do anything they don't want. But can still experience anything they have the stomach for.

Good job with your wife! That's the way to bring more people into GA.

Guy
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!
http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Very cool PK. I am very happy for you. It took Patti a while to get used to flying and it has been enjoyable since. Keep up the good work, and as you have discovered, its best when they set the pace.

Good for you dude.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

It's great introducing someone to flying and having them enjoy it. It can be a double edged sword though. I have lost a few girlfriends by taking them flying. (More than I have gained) Even taking it easy and making a smooth flight thoughout and even greasing the landings. Some just don't like it. But the majority of people do! Especially compared to commercial.
I would recommend though to take as many non-flyers up if they have an interest. It can do wonders for aviation for more people to experience it rather that just believe the misconceptions.

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

That's a great recap of that flight Keith, I can tell from how you wrote it that you couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome. Your approach of always leaving an out is the way to go for sure. Having that attitude for the first time there is turbulence is very important, getting someone back on the ground quickly that is turning green is the key to not completely turning them off for the future.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Sounds like you went about things just right. Congratuations.

Don't take her up too much just yet; always leave them wanting more.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Keith,

That's awesome news... you are doing it right by letting her have all the go or no-go power for the first flights.

A little at a time is the best way to do it.

Again, congrats on your first flight together... May you have many more to come. Enjoy !

PS, let us know when you plan the breakfast flight, If I can make it, I'll see about draggin my wife out there too! she's overdue. :mrgreen:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

will do.
It will probably be a pretty short hop. Where's the closest decent on-field breakfast spot to North Central?
I don't want to push her too far too soon.
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

KMVY, KBID, 3B0, & KCQX come to mind...

Not sure if 3B0 is open yet, but all of these are right on the field.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

I've been told that 3B0 is open. I think I'll call them tomorrow to double check.
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

I can't believe I forgot to add in the updates. I'll give you the condensed version.

I took the Monday after the first flight off and Paula and I headed out to Plymouth for a bite to eat. Again, all smiles.

Then I (probably unwisely) tried to take her to Southbridge on the 20th. It was a blustery day. Nothing horrible, but not the best for a third flight. Anyway, same rules, she could call it at any time. She never did. Plus, she was still smiling and actually ate something at Jim's even though it was a bumpy ride.

I told her that the crosswind landing/takeoff was good practice for me. "practice on your own time." was her response.

She's hooked :)

Dave how's Block island sound in a week or two?
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ok, I gotta ask. How did a guy like you end up with a girl like that? :headscratch: :D

Is that a 172 or a 182 in that picture?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

scary ain't it? :lol:

That is a 172N Can you belive it? There's actually room between our shoulders!
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com