Darndest thing happened Wed night ...

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Darndest thing happened Wed night ...

Post by Spike »

I have been working on my IFR rating for a few months now and have made some good progress. Wednesday night my instructor and I went for a flight from FDK->MTN to fly a few approaches and then come back. MTN is deep in to the Washington/Baltimore Class B with boat loads of traffic, people talking a mile a minute, etc. It was a great time, but I received the funniest speed restriction I have ever heard. We were flying the LOC 15 approach and received this:

"273, you are number 2, reduce speed 20kts, the Citation you are following is taking his dear sweet time."

a few minutes later:

"273, turn left 360 degrees for spacing, I apologize, I have no idea why this Citation needs to turn a 4 mile final."

It was CAVU that day. I never thought I would hear a 172 get a speed restriction because it was catching up to a Citation. My instructor and I were cracking up.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

You should send that into IFR magazine. Might make the "chatter" page on the back. :)
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

maybe that was the citation that passed about 1/2 mile off the nose from right to left of the 182 we were flying in to sun n fun. it happened so quick (1/2 second) all we had time to say was th.....by the time we got to the e of the it was gone. called up jax, i think it was, and they said he was decending for traffic .....it was us, and he almost creamed us. :o
maybe he hasnt cleaned out his pants yet.... :lol: we were IFR btw.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

IMO, that's a serious separation incident. I would suggest you file ye ol' NASA 'incident' form just so that it gets logged. Obviously not your fault, but it's an event definitely worthy of being counted.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!