Not in the groove

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
painless
Class C

Not in the groove

Post by painless »

Ever have one of those days where you sense that you have lost your mojo? I had one this morning.

Got out to the aerodrome early to depart for a nearby airport and participate in a Young Eagles event. Decided to do my usual knocking off of the cobwebs by doing a couple takeoffs and landings before I headed out. Took off fine and remained in the pattern, but I could tell I was just a smidge behind the airplane, for whatever reason. Maybe I was concerned with the coming of the end of the world in a few hours.....who knows! :roll:

Came in on final and bounced so bad I cobbed the throttle and boltered out of there. Came around again, doing a horrible pattern, and landed this time, rather firmly.

Seeing how I was flying, and how my head was not in the game, I scrubbed doing the Young Eagles gig. Very disappointing for me, but I felt it was appropriate all things considered.

I guess the point of my post is that just as you would correct a mechanical problem with your aircraft prior to a flight, make sure that there are no performance issues with you, the pilot. Looking back, I think my problem was a restless night of sleep coupled with getting up early that degraded my performance this morning. Add to that I rushed out of the house without having anything to eat. Luckily I chose to sever the chain of events that could have lead to an incident, early on.

Food for thought.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Excellent decision Jeff!! I've had days like that and you made the right call. Disappointing, yep, but breaking the chain is paramount! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Been there done that. Nothing quite as humbling as doing one circuit and putting it away for another day. In retrospect, those are some of the days where we learn more about ourselves than anything.

Good Choice!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Yep, been there!

We had a Learn to Fly and Young Eagles day on Saturday and I did not have one good landing. Nothing serious but not what I wanted to give these people as a first experience in an RV! You would think that after 115+ hrs in my airplane I would be able to land consistently since I work on it constantly but that just ain't how it is. In the past I could always land a 150/172 with grease but I guess these are different airplanes.

There is one good thing about this though, it keeps me challenged.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Heh. I'm going through that myself. I've found that the RV-4 was SO EASY to land that it spoiled me and made my feet lazy. The Coyote is whipping my rudder feet back into shape. Plus flaring a high wing seems to be more challenging to me than a low wing, less ground compression I guess. Sometimes I find when I take a break from flying and come back I perform much better.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD