Flying in Santiago, Chile!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
plbarrett2004
Class E

Flying in Santiago, Chile!

Post by plbarrett2004 »

In early January, I traveled to Santiago, Chile as part of a short term study abroad trip for my MBA program.

When I travel, I try to meet new people wherever I can. RV builders and pilots are an added bonus! Knowing the trip was coming, I contacted Fernando Abasolo via VAF to see if he'd be interested in grabbing a beer while I was in Santiago. Fernando did much better than that. I was able to bum a ride and go flying directly over Santiago!

Fernando was nice enough to pick me up at my hotel and drive me to his hangar where CC-PXG waited. The airport is Eulogio Sánchez Airport (ICAO: SCTB), also known as Tobalaba Airport. Interestingly the airport is owned by two flying clubs, with one being the Club Aéreo de Carabineros de Chile. Carabineros, a name derived from cavalry units, are the national police in Chile. The first thing I immediately noticed was a fantastic paint job! But Fernando's attention to detail didn't stop there.

After a little plane clean up and hangar talk, it was time to take to the air. I was very excited to see the landscape from the air. Fernando is a Captain with LAN Airlines flying the Airbus A320, and his proficiency and professionalism were immediately apparent in the air. Further, he has had quite the saga with his plane. There are now a handful of RV's in Chile, but the path for experimentals has been difficult. Fernando was the first to receive permission to fly aerobatics. Experimental aviation is impacting aviation worldwide, and in an industry besieged by rising costs and regulation it's exciting to see breakthroughs like this. Here is Fernando at the controls:

And the selfie!

Santiago is a big city with a third of the population of the country and with nearly 8 million people there is quite a lot of sprawl. The city is modern and has absolutely beautiful scenery. It sure beats Charm City!

Santiago is absolutely gorgeous, both on the ground and in the air. In this photo you can see the Gran Torre Skyscraper, which at 64 floors is the highest skyscraper in Latin America. Additionally at the base, you can see another large square building. This is a 6 story epically big shopping mall. In fact, its the biggest shopping mall in Latin America. My friends and I visited it, and it was quite a spectacle on its own. 

During the school portion of our trip we stayed at the swank W Hotel Santiago, which you can see here. The rooftop pool has a spectacular view!

Thanks to Fernando for a fantastic flight!

In addition to flying, I had a great time in Chile. Fernando took me out drinking one night, and my fellow students and I from Baltimore had a terrific time. We found Chilenos to be generous and friendly. I'll have a soft spot for Chile in the next World Cup.

Fortunately my wife was able to join me towards the end of the school activities, and here we are at Kingston Family Vineyards. For the wine drinkers who may be reading this post, the Kingston Family is from California and they own a small vineyard near Santiago. They were the first vineyard to introduce Pinot Noir to Chile, and have some excellent examples of this style that I highly recommend.

As if Chile wasn't enough, my wife and I continued on to Lima Peru for a four day stay in Miraflores. The food lived up to the hype. We ate enough ceviche and fresh seafood to feed a village.
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Peter, cool trip!

Nice pics!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Well presented Papalimabravo! Thanks for sharing!
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

I am disappointed. you second sentence mentioned beer. read everything and not another peep about beer. :bang: JK

Nice pics

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Peter,

Great writeup of your excellent trip to Chile! I will need more details over some beers soon!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

stevewiz
Class E

Post by stevewiz »

Peter, Great write up and it looked like you had a great time. Hope to see you in Oshkosh again this year. Keep pounding those rivets.
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show