First flying year completed!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
captain_john
Sparky

First flying year completed!

Post by captain_john »

One year down, many more to come!

I pinch myself on a daily basis and can't believe that I made this incredible flying machine!

268.4 was the exact hobbs number on my anniversary this past October 5, 2015 when a full year of flying has elapsed!

I would have had more but that last week was full of nasty weather. I was really hoping to do 300 in the first year.

Nevertheless, it has been a great year! Time to take the machine apart and have a peek under the hood, I think?

Thanks for everyone's support here!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

CJ, that's a lot of flying! Trying to keep up with Vlad??? :mrgreen:

My first year was just over 100 hours, but my Phase 1 went slow due to some issues with electronics. Since my annual in May I've done almost another 100 hours. So I'm on track for around 200 this year. And winter in San Diego lasts about 14 days (non-consecutive days, of course).
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Very cool CJ. That's a lot of hours in one year. I'm hoping to get 100 to 150 hours a year average when I get in the air. Time will tell. I often wonder how many people finish their plane and don't fly it more hours than it took to build it, before selling it? That would be interesting to know. Congrats on your first year in the air.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

you plan on polishing the aluminum or flying like that until you get it painted?

where I work, all the planes wing/vertical/horizontal stabs, and the engine nose cowling leading edges are all bare/buffed aluminum. when a customer has them compounded/buffed out they look really sharp.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Congrats CJ! In a year you almost put on as many hours as I've accumulated in 5 years! It's hard to believe my 5th anniversary is coming up in only 9 days.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks guys!

Hell no! Vlad will be trying to keep up with ME!

As far as the polishing goes, the girl I am dating wants to try her hand at polishing. I think I may let her? How bad is that?

The RV-6 that I fly is highly polished. I am not sure that I want to reach that level of luster. I was thinking "patina" would be fine, but losing some of the scuffs and scratches wouldn't be bad. Besides, getting the dog in and out is less worry-some without paint.

My friend, Agent Orange has a perfect polish on his -7. I can see the work that he and his wife put into it and I am not sure that I want to take that on.

A coat of paint is on the horizon. I still haven't fallen in love with a scheme yet though.

All in all... WOW! What an incredible airship!

It is a PLEASURE to fly!

RV-7

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Painting on the horizon?! You can't be without flying for that long :mrgreen:

RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That's true Vlad...

Maybe next summer I bring it in to be painted while I am in Sweden flying other peoples RV's?

RV-7

cathpeta63
Class G

Re:

Post by cathpeta63 »

Joe Parish wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:19 pm
Very cool CJ. That's a lot of hours in one year. I'm hoping to get 100 to 150 hours a year average when I get in the air. Time will tell. I often wonder how many people finish their plane and don't fly it more hours than it took to build it devis monte escalier électrique, before selling it? That would be interesting to know. Congrats on your first year in the air.
So you really think about a career in aviation. That's right, but we should accumulate even more.