You never know who else is in the pattern!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
captain_john
Sparky

You never know who else is in the pattern!

Post by captain_john »

Soooo, Ummmmm...

There I was, preflighting the Cherokee Six when I see some LUNATIC doing FULL SOCK crosswinds at KPYM in a taildragger!

It turns out it was Wicked Stick in my FAVORITE CITABRIA!

I lined up on the intersecting runway and simply said, "Wicked Stick" on the radio! He knew exactly who it was! ME!

I launched right after he did and slipped right under his downwind leg. What a small world!

Dave, how did the Six look from the top?!?!

:rofl: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Re: You never know who else is in the pattern!

Post by Wicked Stick »

Captain_John wrote:Soooo, Ummmmm...

There I was, preflighting the Cherokee Six when I see some LUNATIC doing FULL SOCK crosswinds at KPYM in a taildragger!

It turns out it was Wicked Stick in my FAVORITE CITABRIA!

I lined up on the intersecting runway and simply said, "Wicked Stick" on the radio! He knew exactly who it was! ME!

I launched right after he did and slipped right under his downwind leg. What a small world!

Dave, how did the Six look from the top?!?!

:rofl: CJ
Ya looked good from my view.. I had John G helping out with the X-winds as we had 12kts gusting to 19 at times on RWY33. It was a lot to handle in that plane. My Grumman would have been a no brainer as I think it handles the X winds much easier. With the Citabria I had full rudder and a wing tipped and the gusts were still pushing us along at times.

After you left I did some solo pattern work after refueling and opted to stay on 24 for that. I don't have enough hours and comfort level yet for those kinds of Xwinds in that thing.

I'm still looking forward to having Grumman like handling in an RV-4 or 8 as I'm not particularly fond of the heavy controls of the Citabria. Having spent 600 plus hours in my 2 seat Grumman, it's kinda swayed me into not liking anything else except RV's.

Catch ya later Friday and Sat.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR