wingtip landing lights--any thoughts?

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
lancef53
Class D

wingtip landing lights--any thoughts?

Post by lancef53 »

What are the options for wingtip landing lights? I have an older wing kit with the old style tips(415), so I don't think they will work for any lights. I bought a started wing kit from a gentleman who had gone thru bypass sugery and wasn't going to finish the kit. He already has the leading edges on, so I think I am pretty well stuck with tip lights.

Is my best bet to just buy new tips from vans and go with their wingtip landing lights, or is there something else out there? Thanks, Lance

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

No, you are not stuck with wing-tippers.

If you want Duck-works, you still can use them. Just whittle them in!

People do that with QBees all the time!

The choice is yours!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

There I go posting before doing good research. $#&%!!! I thinkg the airtech kit that vans sells is what I need, so does anybody have opinions on which lights to use in them? Thanks, Lance

Edit-CJ, I see the duckworks can be added, I just don't know if I like the look of them.

I don't know that I will be using them a bunch, but I want something for that long day or headwind home.
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

There are only two type of lights I would consider for the wingtip lights - Halogen and HID's. http://www.CreativAir.com sells both type - HID's are very expensive, use low power, are very bright, long bulb life (no filament to break), heavier (because they have a ballast) and there could be issues if you have wingtip antennas because the ballasts put out some noise. Halogens are cheap, eat more power than the HID equivalent, and don't last as long.

I am going with 75W Halogens in the wingtips to begin with, with a large enough gauge in the wire runs to accomodate 100W if I feel the 75's are big enough. I always have the option of putting a HID in with little modification down the road.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

rhb757
Class G

Re: wingtip landing lights--any thoughts?

Post by rhb757 »

lancef53 wrote:What are the options for wingtip landing lights? I have an older wing kit with the old style tips(415), so I don't think they will work for any lights. I bought a started wing kit from a gentleman who had gone thru bypass sugery and wasn't going to finish the kit. He already has the leading edges on, so I think I am pretty well stuck with tip lights.

Is my best bet to just buy new tips from vans and go with their wingtip landing lights, or is there something else out there? Thanks, Lance
Buy some HID lights from e-bay. Bulb is a H-3 and use 6000 on the light.
Price is about 145.- with digital ballast, 3x the light output on only 35 watts.
Regards
Rainer

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Thanks for the info, I will check out ebay!!
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010