Vans Pre-Built Wiring Loom

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
RobDob
Class E

Vans Pre-Built Wiring Loom

Post by RobDob »

Hi all

Slow progress with my machine BUT.............does anyone have any experience with the Vans wiring loom? Tempted to buy it but am curious to know if it's worth getting it shipped all the way to Blighty or not? Does anyone have any experience with the pre-built loom?

Thanks guys

Rob
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I don't have any direct experience, but from what I have heard from others it locks you pretty tightly into their concept of electrical system & equipment. You should look at what you plan on installing in the plane and checking the suitability of their looms.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Like Spike said...if you are using anything other than what the pre-made loom is built for, you'll just end up hacking it up, and changing almost everything. Rob Johnson (rob on here) bought it, and didn't use it because it was too specific.

I was talked out of buying it by him, and I'm glad I rolled my own.

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Damn, I was hoping it would be a nice quick fix for the wiring!

Any idea's on what it is aimed at fitting exactly? I'm going to be going for a pretty straightforward panel now (due disappearing budget!) with all 'clockwork' gauges & standard radio fit.

If the loom would fit that kind of set up then I might be persuaded.

All that elec-trickery frightens me!!!!

Thanks for the input so far guys.
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I agree with all that has been said above. The Vans harness is too specific. It is ok to buy if you want to have a little bit of everything, take it apart and use it piece by piece as needed. Other than that, I wouldn't buy it at all.

Go a-la-carte and settle in on a Z diagram from Nuckolls and order stuff from B and C.

That's what I am doing.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

rob
Class G

Chad is right on...

Post by rob »

Chad is right on...the Van's harness sucks out loud for anything other than their pre-punched panel and all it encompasses. I omitted some things from the FWF kit, but forgot to eliminate the harness. I ended up cutting some of the wires out of it to use while waiting for bigger B&C orders to arrive.

You can't go wrong doing it yourself following the AEC book. It seems like the hardest part is running the first wire -- once that is done, it is all downhill and fairly easy.
Rob Johnson
RV-7 - built, had a lot of fun, sold
1945 Piper J3 Cub
Pitts Model 12 Plans on the way....

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Thanks alot Guys; I know absolutely ZERO about electrical stuff but I'll give it a go! Luckily it'll be a fairly simple panel!

I might delay the job and slowly buy all the avionics/instruments bit-by-bit first though!!

Cheers all
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

For what it's worth, I have an 8 with a rear battery install and decided to get the wire kit from Van's. Figured it would be easier to use it as a starting point, and alter it as needed.

Worked ok for me, but I did omit certain items from it (master and starter contactors, fuse and grounds) and got that stuff from B&C too!
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

We wired my airplane without a kit. We purchased a fair amount of wire some terminal ends and then started out. As I have said before I had a retired telephone guy help me. We ended up ordering some more wire and terminals but it sure didn't cost what the firewall forward kit was. I found that Wicks Aircraft was very good to deal with and would ship via U.S. Mail. I live in Minnesota and from the their St. Loius place I usually got parts in three days. There prices were competive and they didn't insit on UP or Fed EX which saved me a lot in shipping charges! :) :)

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Great stuff; thanks all. I think I'll rope in someone who has a little elec-trickery experience & build my own!
RV8 Flying G-DOBS