WANTED: Experienced aircraft electrician

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

Im looking for someone experienced with aircraft wiring and connections able to make final connections.

Im building an RV7a here in NE Ohio, Stark County. All the mil-spec wires are run and uncut. Radio stack harness was built by Steinair and ready. Panel is cut, instruments fitted.

I don't feel comfortable cutting wires to proper length, not to short, not too long, and making final connections that are reliable and solid. Too many homebuilds, built by amateurs catching fire and causing smoke in the cockpit later....not for me.
Using:

Vertical Power: VPX pro
AFS EFIS 3500
AFS auto pilot (same as Trutrak)
Garmin Audio Panel 240
Garmin GNS 430W
King Ky197 comm2
Garmin 327 transponder

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I'd be very interested to know where your smoke/fire data comes from...

Anyway, if I was closer, I'd lend a hand. That being said, I felt like you do at one point and honestly didn't think I could do it either. It's really an easy skill to learn, and most satisfying bringing the panel power up when done. As a Tech Counselor, I'd encourage you to give it a try. Crimping terminals with the ratchet style crimper makes it nearly impossible to get it wrong.

If you do decide to tackle it, feel free to ask as many questions as you need to! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

No objective data or statistics, just hearsay and speculation. I did hear just a few days ago about a RV10 that when down near Cincinnati due to smoke in the cockpit. I suspect an amateur wire job. Heard this happening before.

I have ratchet crimpers. Some of my crimps didnt take the first time, so Im a little shy about having bad connections. Need someone to hold my hand through this.....but I know that's not going to happen.

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

If you have no faith in your work, maybe just pay an avionics to do it.
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

I'm considering working with a local avionics shop.

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

I can definitely understand not wanting to leave your comfort zone with wiring but then again you are building an airplane and I bet that you had a few moments in there that you really felt like you didn't know what you were doing and I bet that when you look back at you work you feel pretty proud.
Anyway i am with Chad that you should try, you will learn a valuable skill which will pay dividends in the future. If you are really nervous make up a couple of test exercises, like a practice kit, and see how you do and what you learn. Try to do some destructive testing on your test kit and see how good your connections are. My bet with some practice you will be a pro in no time. If you have an avionics guy close have him check your work.

My 2 cents

Craig

timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

Yes, I have thought at times I don't have a clue what I'm doing and later resolved it. This is true for many of life's obstacles.

I had someone hold my hand when I did the empenage, The frame was a quick build. Ive been reading the manual, performing the sub-assemblies as per the plans and talking to Vans builder assistance hotline when I have questions.

This wiring thing is "out of the box." I have no real wiring training or experience, no manual to follow, The last time I did this I was a kid installing car stereos. Just pull off the road, get out and fix it. I did just that in 1991, Ft. Lauderdale and a cop pulled in and asked for my ID....lol

I'd rather not have to wonder if my connections are good flying IFR, at night, over water, some 200 flight hours in. Too many points of failure.

I actually ran the wires where they need to go. Vertical Power issued me a Molex crimper for $350 which works nice for those connections. D-sub connections are easy and nice too. But my regular crimps scare the crap out of me. Might have a bad ratchet crimper.

I will resolve this correctly somehow. I feel frustrated and stalled out at the moment....but I will persevere somehow.

smiller
Class G

Post by smiller »

No objective data or statistics, just hearsay and speculation. I did hear just a few days ago about a RV10 that when down near Cincinnati due to smoke in the cockpit. I suspect an amateur wire job. Heard this happening before.
I think that RV10 fire you're talking about was caused by a loose fuel line fitting. So you may want to hire out your fuel plumbing to a professional as well.  ;-)  As you can see, one can mess up anywhere along the way. Just be careful and learn the proper technique. I'm with the others who say you *can* do the electrical yourself, and do it safely!

Submitted via email

timotb
Class E

Re: WANTED: Experienced aircraft electrician

Post by timotb »

smiller wrote:
I think that RV10 fire you're talking about was caused by a loose fuel line fitting. So you may want to hire out your fuel plumbing to a professional as well. �;-) �As you can see, one can mess up anywhere along the way. Just be careful and learn the proper technique. I'm with the others who say you *can* do the electrical yourself, and do it safely!

Submitted via email
Yeah....another point of concern!. I using Vans recommended fuel pump and filter. Many turns and twists each with a flare fitting made by an amateur. This is in the back of my mind too. Thinking about returning pump to Vans (have until November) and replacing with a British bulit Andair simple in line filter and pump.

Womack2005
Class D

Avionics Engineer

Post by Womack2005 »

at your service. Let me know if I can help. 920 915 7576 Will W.
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/