seperate starter switch

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
JOHN TIPTON
Class E

seperate starter switch

Post by JOHN TIPTON »

Hi

When is a seperate starter switch required, and what is the adavtages (or not) of having one on a standard 2 mag system, as opposed to the L-R-B-start switch

John

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I guess it would depend on whether or not you are planning to use regular mags or an electronic ignition system later on.

Most regular mag setups use one std mag and one with an Impulse Coupling. With that setup, you want to have it so you are only starting on the Impulse coupled mag first, then once started you turn the other mag on. With the L,R, B, & Start switch, it only energizes the one mag with the impulse coupling in the start position, then turns on the other as you go back to both.

Not required if using P-mags or other electronic mags as they can be started with both on and is actually a preferred method for the P-mags.

Electronic ignition is the way to go in my opinion as it provides huge benefits over standard magnetos. Ease of Starting, more effecient, and if using auto plugs...way cheaper for maintence.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I believe that a bunch of the newer pipers have a push button start. I think I flew an archer a few years ago that had that setup. You could wire a push button to enable the p-lead on the non coupled mag.

But then as Dave has said the normal switch will do that for you. Id go push button just cause they are cooler though :mrgreen:

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

JOHN TIPTON
Class E

seperate starter switch

Post by JOHN TIPTON »

I'd go push button just cause they are cooler though - - - Sounds reasonable

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I used two standar flip style switches for turning my P-mags on and off. I then use one of the buttons on my infiniti stick to start the plane.

I put in an additional switch to activate and deactivate the stick switch so that I don't hit it by mistake once it's running.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR