Cheap, easy way to label your wires

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
BSwayze
Class C

Cheap, easy way to label your wires

Post by BSwayze »

Maybe I'm not the first guy to think of this, but I just found an excellent, cheap way to label all my wires. For a very long time, as the wiring project drew near, I wondered about how to label my wires. I do think it's nice to have a label on every wire. I thought of buying one of those expensive heat-shrink printers. I've read lots of stories. Heard a lot of frustrating tales. I didn't know what I was going to do. I was actually at a point where I thought I'd bag the idea and just have it all down on paper. Then I stumbled across this material and came up with a simple idea.

A local electronics supply store carries clear heat-shrink in all kinds of sizes. I'm sure you can find this anywhere. As you can see, it's CHEAP. Little more than a dollar gets you 3 feet of it. I bought several sizes, and I may go back for more if I need it. Then all you need is a roll of white electrical tape and a super fine sharpie.

The rest is obvious. Print small. Cut the tape and wrap it around the wire. Apply heat to a short piece of the clear heat shrink. Try this, it works! Even on the smallest wire sizes. And did I mention... it's cheap!

I know, it's not as elegant as something that came out of a fancy printer that prints on heat shrink, but who's ever going to see this anyway?
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward