electric trim servo

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
gsimatos
Class E

electric trim servo

Post by gsimatos »

I have been struggling to roll the elevator leading edges so I only have 4 brain cells left working. I want to install the electric trim servo now. The question is regarding the travel of the servo. Do you position the servo in the middle of its travel and then position the tab in the neutral position or do you need more trim in one direction or the other. Told ya my brain wasn't working too well. If anyone has been down this road I would be interested in haw you set your up. Cheers. Gary in extremely rainy Pitt Meadows BC Canada

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I set mine to the mid travel point, set the trim tab to be neutral, cut the threaded rod so it could adjusted about 3/8" either way, and decided to worry about it latter if that wasn't good enough. From what I have read so far, there is more than enough travel anyway. I did make sure the threaded rod wouldn't bind on the bottom skin at either end as well, this required extending the slot a bit farther aft.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Don Thanks, I will give it a go. I located the servo brackets according to the drawing but ended up with the servo being a little more inboard than I would have liked. Instead of the push rod lying centered thru the slot in the skin it is a little close to the inboard side of the skin so I will need to open the slot a little to prevent any interference issues. Sure hated rolling those leading edges tho. Still one elevator to go. Thanks for your help. G