Tipup Rollbar Angle Brackets - Correct Stock?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
aparchment
Class C

Tipup Rollbar Angle Brackets - Correct Stock?

Post by aparchment »

Guys:

I made the mistake of making my tipup rollbar brackets out of AA6-187 stock rather than AA6-188 per the plans. There is a pretty big difference in the angle, and mine are nowhere close to 90 degrees. Annoying, but not really a big deal -- that is until I went looking for the AA6-188 stock. I couldn't find it. I have a bunch of the AA6-187 but no 188. Did anyone else have this issue?

Antony

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I've never heard of the AA6-188. In fact, neither has Van's! (search their webstore -- that aluminum angle doesn't exist). The digits the come after the dash represent the thickness of the angle, in thousandths. So the difference between 0.188 and 0.187 is pretty much nothing. Sounds like a typo to me.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

aparchment
Class C

Hmmmm

Post by aparchment »

Thanks Mike. I looked quickly to see what those designators mean, but couldn't find them.

The strange thing is the plans show that the angle stock you use for the tip up brackets are perfectly 90 degree angles, but the stuff I have is definitely not 90 degrees.

Did you notice this on yours?

Antony

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Antony-

My AA6 was perfectly perpendicular. If yours isn't, it should be easy enough to fix in a vice (especially once cut).
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

aparchment
Class C

Strength?

Post by aparchment »

I was thinking about the 'bend it in a vice' approach, but have been worried about weakening it. I guess I shouldn't be considering how many other times Van's requests that we bend parts.

Thanks! Build on!

Antony