prop governor bracket

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
hydroguy2
Class B

prop governor bracket

Post by hydroguy2 »

Prepping the engine today and got to the governor bracket. I think this bracket was designed for a Woodward governor, so had to hog out the holes and grind the ID of the bracket to fit the PCU 5000. Also had to loosen the screws and rotate the arm to clock it properly for cable attach.

Couldn't find any pics of the bracket installed, so hoping someone else will see this and tell me if it looks right.

Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian,

My prop governor looks a little different:

Here is my builders log entry for the day I installed it:

http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=6&dayid=619
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

mike, yours was the only picture I found. My bracket is the other style and seems to work, but not sure the angles are correct.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian,

I looked at my FWF and the location of your bracket shouldn't present you with any interference issues. The only things it would get close to (at least on my setup) is the breather tube and the fuel return line. But like I said, you should be fine.
Mike Bullock

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Here's what I'm worried about. The angle of the cable to arm is shown with the red line.

it looks as if the bracket is set up for the arm to be in the 4 o'clock position and move towards 8 o'clock. But this would be reverse acting.

Something is goofy.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Do you have your mixture cable? Oh thats right you are going with a custom quadrant on the left side right?? The only way to be 100% sure is to have a cable handy to test with. I agree it looks a little bit like it should be actuating the arm 180 degrees from where the arm really is. But that could be fixed by bending the portion of the bracket where the prop cable comes through it. You might need to just hang your engine and worry about it later. Getting the prop governor off and on shouldn't be too too bad.
Mike Bullock

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

bullojm1 wrote:........ But that could be fixed by bending the portion of the bracket where the prop cable comes through it. You might need to just hang your engine and worry about it later. Getting the prop governor off and on shouldn't be too too bad.
Well that's the plan. We're hanging the engine tomorrow.... unless I don't wake up.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Sweet! Good Luck! I have heard putting the bottom bolts in first, and then using the engine lift to compress the top mounts to install the bolts is the easiest way BTW. Makes sense to me! Remember to put some weight on the tail so the thing doesn't tip forward. Zee Plane gets mighty light in the rear with the engine on!
Mike Bullock

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Update: found a reference which showed the bracket should be installed like the green lines on the below drawing. Then the cable is routed thru the slot in the bracket. This will work but then put the rod end and arm at a funny angle. Oh well I'll deal with it later

Brian
Townsend, MT

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

Pictures are worth a 1000 words. It has been so helpful in building my 8 with referance to what other builders did or didnt do. It is a big time saver sometimes.

thanks for all RBs pics

Mike Balzer
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Here is the proper orientation for the prop governor bracket.

Brian
Townsend, MT