Flap switch

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
jim_geo
Class C

Flap switch

Post by jim_geo »

While looking on line for some info about the installation of my Bendix throttle body I happened upon this interesting photo. This is just a simple are they up or are they down sender (micro switch). But I'm thinking relpace this setup with a different cam lobe, reostat and the proper meter and wala you'd have a way of knowing exactly where your flaps are.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

jIm
That switch is not for indicating up or down but to switch the trim motor voltage from full voltage to a lower voltage to control the trim speed at level flight when the flaps are up. I flew a 6A that did not have the speed controller and it was a bearcat to trim at cruise. I put a micro switch and speed controller on mine and I set it to be at full voltage when the flaps started down and at parcial voltage (about 5 volts) when the flaps are retracted. I now don't have problems with trim overshoot as I would have without the speed controller.
Van sells the speed controller and you can buy the micro switch at any electronics supply store. FWIW
Dan

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Dan I think you missed my point. I'm not really concerned with what the function of that switch is. My point was that something very similar could be rigged to indicate where the flaps are along their travel. But yes you're right about what that switch was being used for.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Okay, I'm with you now! You could possibly install a similar cam and a rheostat to indicate the flap position. or if you want to go hi-tech a pressure sensitive transducer in conjunction with a microprocessor would do the trick. I'm sure there is something out there that will work for you.
good luck
Dan

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Well actually I'll probably just turn my head and look out the window to see where the flaps are. :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yahhhh... I was gonna offer the window option...

This is a really cool way of wiring in an indicator, though!

Besides, if you are carrying a big load of ice and you can't see out the window, the indicator would be really nice to have!

:o CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Hmm big load of ice. You planning on flying to a Bar BQ John.

Bob Barrett
Class C

I like the idea of a different cam

Post by Bob Barrett »

I think exploring a different cam and having a flap position indicator in the cockpit would be great. I know they are available for about $200.00 but if there is a simple way to make this up for the average builder, I would go for it. Yes I know I can look out the window but when I am in the pattern I like to be looking forward! If a simple cheap method of an indicator could be developed, it possibly could even be marketed.

KISS= applies for me. Keep it simple stupid. The simplier the more reliable it is apt to be.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I use the "Look out the window" method. I check the position on base leg and then after i apply full flaps on long final. Not a problem. If I'm on a short steep pattern then I just lower them and land!These birds seem to prefer a short steep patern rather than a long drawn out pattern.
Dan

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

On the KingAir there is a arm attached to a rheostat and the other attached to the actuator bolt that attached to the flap itself. So the arm follows the flap as it travels. The rheostat then goes to a simple gauge in the cockpit. You could easily make one using lights instead of a round dial and needle.
This is if it will work on RVs. I don't know how they operate the flaps, I'm assuming its similar. I'll take a picture and post tomorrow to better explain what I'm trying to say.
-catfish

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I posted this wayyyy back when I was going to use steam gauges and really wasn't aware of all the fun goodies avaiable. Now I'm using a Dynon EMS with the ability to show flap position. interestingly enough reostats come in many forms and are easy to rig up. It just keeps getting better all the time.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yup! I learned a few things since this thread was started.

The rheostat to use is Ray Allen's POS 12. In the side by side's with electric flaps (sorry Chad) you install it inside the center motor housing enclosure. The connecting rod can be made from remote control airplane parts.

Ray Allen also sells a display if you plan on using old fashioned steam stuff!

:) CJ
RV-7

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

I use a modified version of the window method. My flaps take a count of 9 to extend fully. Therefore, a count of 4-5 will get half extension and another 4-5 will get full extension. Mike Seager taught me this during transition training.

Good Luck!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:<snip>In the side by side's with electric flaps (sorry Chad)...<snip>
No need! I'm not!

:wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Tom, I do that with Cessnas and it works like a charm!

Chad, you have a positive setting everytime! Did you ever think about only having 3 positions; zero, half and full? I know they usually have 4.

:? CJ
RV-7

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

KingAirs only have three. Up, Approach, and Down.
If it good enough for them....
-catfish

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:Tom, I do that with Cessnas and it works like a charm!

Chad, you have a positive setting everytime! Did you ever think about only having 3 positions; zero, half and full? I know they usually have 4.

:? CJ
I have two notch arms...one with four settings, and one with three. My inclination is to use the one with four...reason? Why not? One more option. 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

dynamicjohn wrote:KingAirs only have three. Up, Approach, and Down.
If it good enough for them....
-catfish
I flew a 200 for almost three years, and while it is good enough for them, the heavier airplane doesn't require as many options (airliner-class airplanes are another thing). They land pretty much the same every time regardless of what the winds are...especially King Air's-they are SUPER easy to land nicely. RV's being MUCH lighter on the controls, and more suseptible to wind and gust factors, it'll be nice to have more than two settings to choose from for whatever circumstances are present.

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

I agree with that. I have a few hours in KingAirs but most of my time is in small low wings. Archer, Arrow, etc.
I like the UP, 10, 20, 40 degees on the Pipers. I particularly like the manual handle, and you can feel it working. I'm sure not many RVs have manual flaps, right?

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

dynamicjohn wrote:I agree with that. I have a few hours in KingAirs but most of my time is in small low wings. Archer, Arrow, etc.
I like the UP, 10, 20, 40 degees on the Pipers. I particularly like the manual handle, and you can feel it working. I'm sure not many RVs have manual flaps, right?
Not any more unless you make 'em custom. They used to be standard with manual flaps, now they all come with electric. I wanted flaps like I had in my Cherokee's, so I made manual flaps for my 7...just like the Pipers...

See this thread-

http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/for ... php?t=2168

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support