Duckworks question

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
tshort
Class C

Duckworks question

Post by tshort »

How did you guys dimple the three holes in the LE skin top and bottom for the lens retainer screws?
The instructions say to dimple with a #30 dimple die as this is what the holes are drilled to; they say you can "experiment" with larger dies as the #30 size is a little small for the #6 screws. A #6 screw die won't fit in the #30 hole, however, and I am a little reluctant to enlarge the holes as I don't want to mess up the fit of the lens.
Thoughts?

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Check your email
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

bmurrish wrote:Check your email
Save that email for when when I have the same question. :-D Inquiring minds want to know .... :P
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Spike wrote:Save that email for when when I have the same question. :-D Inquiring minds want to know .... :P
Oh, sorry Spike my bad. I told him I have a complete set of Cleaveland dimple dies and I could mail the ones he needs tomorrow.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ah, ok. I was thinking maybe you had a super secret method for creating the dimples :mrgreen:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Thanks for the offer, Bill.

Here's what I did ...
I reamed the hole (drilled, actually) out to #28 then dimpled it with the #6 screw dimple dies. Fits perfectly. Didn't affect the fit of the lens, either - I can hardly get a fingernail in all the way around. Much better than I had hoped.

Tip:
To keep the plexi warm while working with it, set the LE down on the bench so the front of it faces up (leading edge towards the ceiling). Place a 100W shop light in thru the lightening hole on the end of the LE into the bay where the duckworks light goes. This keeps the whole deal warm, and you can just put the plexi in there to stay warm while you work on other stuff.

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

tshort -
I used a #30 drill and then dimpled with #6 die set - after making sure the holes were smoothly deburred.
No problem with fitting the screws in. Probably not Lindy quality, but certainly more than acceptable.

Lorin D
9A Wings

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I was gonna do that but I couldn't get the pilot of the #6 dimple die in the #30 hole very far and was afraid of cracking. Enlarging to #28 worked out fine...

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings