Boards in rear fuselage for access?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Boards in rear fuselage for access?

Post by cjensen »

I need to get access to the aft fuselage for drilling and bucking, and wondered what you all were doing to get back there.

My simple idea here is to slide a couple of boards back there over the bulkheads and shimmy my way in there. The boards would go somewhat where I've colored in below-

Problems with this? :?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

No problems, Chad.

WS did exactly the same. it worked out well for him in the narrow tailcone of the -8.

Go for it, but do your wiring, static lines and what nots first while you can still lean in!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

4kilo
RB's First

Fuse Boards

Post by 4kilo »

Chad,

Just for info, the back boards for the 8 actually fit fairly tightly between the skins resting on the lower longerons. This allows the longerons to take the load instead of the bulkheads. I haven't looked at the bulkheads in the tailcone of a 7, but I wouldn't want to put my weight on the bulkhead webs in my 8.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Re: Fuse Boards

Post by Wicked Stick »

4kilo wrote:Chad,

Just for info, the back boards for the 8 actually fit fairly tightly between the skins resting on the lower longerons. This allows the longerons to take the load instead of the bulkheads. I haven't looked at the bulkheads in the tailcone of a 7, but I wouldn't want to put my weight on the bulkhead webs in my 8.

Pat
Chad, I have to concur with Pat on this one. On the 8, the boards dimensions are wide enough to rest on the longerons for supporting the weight. Modify your yellow highlighted areas so they are wide enough to rest on the longerons. Make each piece of plywood long enough and wide enough to take up the entire area between each bulkhead. That way you are distributing the weight evenly along the entire length of longeron.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

In the -7, there are no lower longerons. There are only stiffeners.

Dunno what else to do?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

When I built the 4 I cut some plywood that would cover the whole bottom of the coffin (as I called it) or fuselage so I could slither back in the back and work on things. I just left it in there until I no longer needed to go back there.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

captain_john wrote:In the -7, there are no lower longerons. There are only stiffeners.

Dunno what else to do?

:? CJ
What about attaching some sort of extension footing pieces with another wide footprint to it that would rest on the bottom skins as well as the stiffener/longs ???
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

What material are the lower stiffeners made of?

On the 8, the lower longerons are only 1/16" 3/4" angle stock, so we may just be getting hung up on terminology. If the 7 stiffeners are similar, they should be plenty strong to take the load provided the boards go all the way to the skin so that the force from the boards is transfered to the skin/stiffener rivet line.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Nah, the lower stiffeners on the 7 are just J channel that is bent in to the bottom skin...I think it's .040?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Here's what I ended up doing...

I used two by's to lift it up above the bottom of the 706 bulkhead, and a 2x6 to rest across the J channel stiffeners for the board to rest on in the rear. It's 13 inches wide, and it turns out I only need one to work back there.

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

This is where having an 11 year old son (at the time) that fit back there worked out well. If he did a good job with the task at hand, I let him come out. :mrgreen:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

painless wrote:This is where having an 11 year old son (at the time) that fit back there worked out well. If he did a good job with the task at hand, I let him come out. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: That's funny! I'm glad Luke is a lot lighter than me. He will draw the straw for that job. :wink:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

John Courte
Class G

Post by John Courte »

Chad, what flavor of paint are you using on the interior there? That black looks awesome.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Rustoleum Satin Black for metal. I have to agree with you! I LOVE how it looks!

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

It does look pretty sweet! :good job:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

Bob Barrett
Class C

Working in Tail of RV-7

Post by Bob Barrett »

I am building an RV-6A and I have two piceces of 5/8" V-shaped particle board or ply works. I have two by fours screwed flat that rests on the baggage floor. The narrow part of the V goes on the #8 bulkhead and I have a slot in the floor for the the upright brace to mount the elevator bell crank. The next section lays on top of it and can reach to #9 bulk head and the wide part rests on the first section. I have to remove the rear walls of the baggage department to get them and me in and out. I used that for riveting and have just finished installing a remote compass for my Dynon. I also used it to install the cables for the shoulder harness today. Vacumed everything out as I backed out and took out the floor boards. I am saving them in case I need to get in there for semething else. I don't have pictures and unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Working in Tail of RV-7

Post by Spike »

Bob Barrett wrote:I don't have pictures and unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures.
Bob there is a tutorial in the Site Support Forum on how to post pictures.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Bob Barrett
Class C

I can't even find the tutorial.

Post by Bob Barrett »

Thanks for the suggestion Spike but I can't even find the tutorial. I looked under the various things I thought would give them but no luck.

You do an excellant job of maintaining this site. My hat is off to you and you certainly are very knowledgeable in the this internet stuff. Thanks for all your hard work! Have a good 4th of July!!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Hey Bob,
Check this out. Might 'splain some things about picture posting.

http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/for ... c.php?t=83
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD