elevator push rod problem

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
gsimatos
Class E

elevator push rod problem

Post by gsimatos »

Regarding the elevator push rod which connects the stick assembly to the bellcrank behind the baggage area, how the heck do ya get that thing into the tight tunnel it is supposed to go into without a can opener?? Was i supposed to build the plane around it?? Any tricks I am missing? Thanks g

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I don't have my in yet either, but (this will sound bad... :roll: ) it should just slide in from the rear. There is plenty of room to lay it down in the tailcone, and slide it forward thru the 706 and 705 bulkheads.

Are your top skins already in place?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

If I try to install it from the rear (sounds like a bad joke) under the flap motor area, the forward end of the pushrod firmly hits the belly and is against the bulkhead/structure immediately below the forward area of the flap motor attachment. Seems like if I opened up the upper aspect of the passage just ahead of the bellcrank, this might give me the space to get if thru. I have seen that on a couple of web sites. Sorry for the poor description, my plans are at the hangar. My top skins are in place also. I guess a universal joint in the middle would defeat the purpose of a pushrod. Thanks for your reply. Gonna look it over again this morning. Cheers G

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Is the bellcrank installed already? If so, I would take that out, and slide it thru the opening in the bottom of the 706 bulkhead. That's how I plan to get mine in...I have only fitted the bellcrank, not installed yet.

There's no way you'll get it in there thru the 705...it goes thru 706 as well.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

The bellcrank isn't in BUT I did manage to get the pushrod in. The rear threaded end hung up on the bulkhead about one inch. I removed it from the push rod tube and this gave me the clearence I needed. Pushrod falls nicely to floor and wiggles straight through to the stick assembly. No can opener required. Thanks for your help, Cheers G

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Glad you got it figured out! Hope I helped a little bit...this will help me too! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support